Read Reviews (1) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1987 Trooper

Reviewed by 1 user

Off road fun?

by rushhowe:      Mar 26, 2000

Pros: durable, good off road
Cons: no power

Let's get something straight right from the start- I'm a sucker for a good deal. Last year I bought my friend's 1987 Trooper because it was too good of a deal to pass up and I had been wanting to get a little 4x4 to drive through the woods.

It is nice and roomy, easy to get into and out of, and easy to get parts for. It is incredible off road. You wouldn't believe the steep hills that it can go up- I sometimes feel as if the vehicle is going to tip over backwards and roll down the hill.

This vehicle really could benefit from a larger engine- perhaps the V6 that the new ones have. It is underpowered and accelerates about as well as an old Volvo station wagon. (poorly at best) It will maintain 70mph on the highway unless big hills get in the way.

It handles reasonably well for a SUV. There is a little bit of sway around corners but nothing that isn't to be expected from a mid sized SUV.
It makes a fine grocery getter. There is some room in the back and the rear seats fold down to create more. The heater is excellent and makes it toasty warm inside when it is well below freezing outside.

It gets about 18mpg which isn't all that bad for a mid sized 4x4, but that is about what I get in my 8,000lb truck.