Read Reviews (3) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1988 MUSTANG

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by whatithinknow

1988 Ford Mustang GT with 302 V-8 and Automatic Transmission

by whatithinknow:      Oct 7, 2004

Pros: See Review
Cons: See Review
The Bottom Line: If you can find one that has a decent body for a decent price, and you appreciate Fox body Ford V-8s, buy it. I'm very attached to mine.

Pro: Power, curb appeal, handling, flexibility of the hatchback design, folding rear seat, parts availability, dependability, easy to become attached to this car in spite of the Cons. Mileage was 26 MPG on a road trip to Ok. City this summer. Not bad for a 17 y/o muscle car with 112,000 miles. 1988 model year lacks air bag (last year).
Cons: Slightly noisy but who cares, stiff ride, cramped seating, snow plow hazard in winter, currently prone to fuel line vapor lock in extremely hot weather, turbine wheel design tends to load up with brake dust (difficult to clean), body rusts easily in northern climate at trunk lid and around wheel wells, poor front headlight bezel design tends to load up with water burning out head lamps, some accessory parts break easily, i.e. head light switch, ashtray lid, the A/C died early and I never bothered to have it repaired due to western NYS climate where I live. Driver's side door leaks rainwater and is difficult to adjust.

Some of you might be amused by reading what a 58 y/o guy in 2004 has to say about what is basically a kid's and a hot rodder's car. Well, I have a lot to say about it, since I basically grew old in this car, having bought it used at a car auction in 1990 in the midst of a messy divorce. I have driven the car regularly, except winters, since then, and many times to Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, Virginia etc. from western New York state. The car's A/C died about 1995 and was never repaired. After nearly 15 years, I've become attached to this car and have dreams of a 351W stroker V-8 going into it after I move south from NYS.

The usual stuff like tires, brakes, batteries, exhaust, and regular oil changes, are the maintenance items that are mostly routine. I've listed the others below for this car:

DATE MILEAGE SERVICE
090704 112202 Bad wheel bearing? Wheel felt loose on driver's side
070104 110000 Replaced exhaust headers due to corrosion
061504 109340 Installed ,rotors, brake pads, braided steel brake lines
122903 108548 Repair fuel line leak, fuel filter, repair exhaust leak in EGR tube
030101 98505 NEW ALTERNATOR
092397 80635 SERPENTINE BELT
061494 66485 FRONT STAB PINS
012494 61529 WIPER MOTOR
100592 44043 REBUILD ALTERNATOR

For personal reasons, I've kept the car stock except for the headers and K&N air filter. Also New York state is very strict regarding alterations to the emissions systems during the mandatory annual inspection. Pound for pound, this car has served me extremely well. It's m'car and I'm stickin with it!

Amount Paid (US$): 9700 in 1990