Read Reviews (3) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1988 300

1988 Mercedes 300E

by tyoph:      Jun 5, 2007

Pros: 25 MPG, excellent reliability
Cons: electrical problems can be frustrating
The Bottom Line: If you want to feel like you make more money than you really do but don't want to go broke at the same time, this is your car.

The Mercedes 300E is truly one of the most durable cars made. Mine just turned 223,000 miles and still looks new! I am not kidding you. I bought the car in Austin Texas new in September 1988 and paid $41000 for it. It has been a garaged car all it's life and now resides in Colorado. I did replace the water pump, thermostat and all the belts and hoses under the hood at 118,000 miles in 2000. Not because I had to, but I couldn't stand it anymore. It still has it's original starter! Nothing more than a little transmission work at about 140,000 miles that cost less than $500. This has been the cheapest car I have driven mile for mile in my life. I do have 16 inch 1995 stock Mercedes wheels that update the looks of this car nicely. The paint is still flawless. If I had to guess, I would say this car has been parked outside a total of about 150-200 days since 1988. People are shocked when they find out it's almost a 20 year old car. You can't go wrong if you want to buy this model. I never liked the 190 series and am told it's not half the car the 300E is. The 300E is a real Mercedes, even on the lower end. I don't call the 190, or even the newer 240 ck series "real" either. You can purchase most every part you'll ever need on Ebay, find a good mechanic, avoid the dealer and this car will outlive you. Bet on it!
Condition: New