Read Reviews (5) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1988 900

1988 SAAB 900 Convertible

by greenbes:      Sep 8, 1999

Pros: fun to drive, good looking, inexpensive
Cons: slow until the turbo kicks in, stiff ride, squeaks and rattles

Most luxury cars lose their value quickly, especially if the body style changes. This means that there are great bargains to be had if you don't mind driving a car that's a few years old. I bought a 1988 SAAB 900 convertible for $6000 and it's the most enjoyable car I've ever owned.

The engine is a turbo charged 4-cylinder but, until the turbo kicks in, it feels like you could get there faster by walking. Once the turbo is engaged, though, it's fast and responsive. The ride is stiff and there are a few squeaks, but that's to be expected with a convertible of any sort.

The top is very simple to operate. Pop the catches and the motors will raise or lower it in about fifteen seconds. It's quick enough that I routinely do it while stopped at traffic lights.

The front seats are roomy enough, but the back bench seat is small. Push the seats back for someone tall in front and the back becomes all but useless.

The trunk is surprisingly large for a convertible.

When buying a car like this, expect that you'll spend one or two thousand dollars on repairs right away. In my experience it's much cheaper to buy a pretty good car and fix it up than it is to buy a new one. Don't even consider it, though, unless you have a mechanic you trust to do this work. Fix everything right away and you'll have a car that runs like new for not a lot of money.