Read Reviews (4) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1989 Fleetwood

View all reviews by watsonea4

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

by watsonea4:      Jul 25, 2007 - Updated Aug 2, 2007

Pros: comfortable smooth convenient
Cons: wiring is known caddy issue
The Bottom Line: Might as well get a newer model with the money you would have spent on the repairs. In better condition its an excellent car.

I got this car 13 years old for $500 in 2002. It was bought from a friend who drove it from new Mexico to Arizona so there are a lot of miles on it; around 130,000. There were dents in the outside and the leather was burned from the desert heat, but man did that thing drive! I loved my Cadillac the first time I drove it. It was smooth on the road and the pedals had just the right resistance. The dash is all digital and that is a big plus. I used the gas gauges (Current mpg, Average mpg, Tanks left) to improve my gas mileage from 14 to 18 (cruise control). Side note...Gas mileage stinks and the tank is 16gal. The car is very roomy. Bench seat in front is great and the back seats have lighted mirrors.

Unfortunately, after I drove my beloved car for a few months, the trouble started. It would cut power spontaneously and not come back unless you fiddled with the wiring under the hood. So I almost got killed on the freeway a few times. After we replaced the alternator it seemed to go away. Then it stopped starting. 3 starters later, it worked. Then the car would shut down spontaneously and start right back up. Rinse, repeat. We took it in and apparently while it was dead for the starter dance, someone siphoned my gas and replaced it with water. I wanted to throw that in because if you know something about cars, my other troubles may make sense and not be points against the car itself.

I got the fuel line and all the bits flushed and the fuel injectors cleaned and all was well...until I hit 4 gal on gas. Was stopping again...usually when I slow down. Well, as long as I kept it above 7 gallons I was ok. So I did. Then one day I'm at a stoplight, waiting to turn left with my turn signal on and smoke starts coming up from the steering column. I figured it was dust but it wasn't. My turn signals were frying. I pulled over thinking my car was going to explode. I was able to turn it back on and have a front passenger and a rear driver side signal.

About 7 months after I had learned not to take my gas below 7 gallons I thought I'd test it. I got it down to 2 gallons and filled it back up. Then it stopped starting...the day I filled it up with premium gas. I let it sit a while and it just started working again. So I drove it for about a week and then it died. I was driving to get ice cream and when I stopped at the stop sign the power cut and all was dark. I had to push it back home....backwards. The car is really heavy. Very nice...but very heavy.
Condition: Used