Read Reviews (3) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by sootie007

1990 Corvette Convertible

by sootie007:      Dec 2, 2003

Pros: Torquey 350 motor,good trans,eye appeal,around 20 mpg.
Cons: Absolutely no storage space,stereo speakers go bad,alternator and battery issues it appears.
The Bottom Line: If your looking for an older Vette that has plenty of power and still turns heads a 1990 is a good choice.

I purchased my 1990 Corvette convertible in Dec 2002. I have put approximately 5k miles on the vehicle in 12 months being just a weekend cruiser. My Vette just hit 80k miles.

Having owned several muscle cars over the years this was my first Corvette.

A few good things come to mind with my Vette....

the 250 hp engine has plenty of get up and go..torque is what this engine was designed for so if tire burning is your thing this model will do it.

the 4 speed automatic even at 80k miles shifts crisp and the lockup torque converter engages smoothly etc.

Factory Delco Bose cd stereo system is awesome when the speakers are working properly. Its loud, basey and the high notes are great.

The car runs cool..I have the factory oil cooler option the oil temp stays really cool as does the water temp here in Florida.

People love to look at Vettes in general - everyone has to look at it at stop lights, parking lots etc.

Here is the service history I know of on the car ....

Water pump at 51k

Hideaway headlight motors were rebuilt around 40k miles. I am told they have a gel inside them that deteriorates and requires the motors to be rebuilt..I am told this is very expensive ...over 400 dollars.

4 wheel brake job at 39k miles.

New exhaust 65k miles.

The factory Delco Bose speakers are troublesome... they go bad when electrical amplification components break down inside each speaker. The cost is high around $225 for each speaker. I have replaced one.

There is absolutely no useable storage in my 1990 convertible..you would be hard pressed to get a single beach chair in the area behind the seats..the area is more suited to carry a large Pizza box (no kidding).

The car has had 4 alternators on it in its 13 year life...I had to put the last one on and a new battery...that doesnt sound normal to me.

The car also if not driven will kill the battery within 4 weeks. I am told this is due to the extensive electronics that cause parasitic losses even when the car is just sitting. Many Corvette owners connect a battery trickle charger to their Vettes when just sitting in the garage.

Amount Paid (US$): 12,500
Condition: Used
Model Year: 1990
Model and Options: 350,auto,convertible,oil cooler,performance axle,delco bose,digital
Handling And Control: