Read Reviews (33) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1990 Camry

View all reviews by kingyouth

I Love This Car

by kingyouth:      Nov 13, 2001

Pros: Fold-down backseats Dependable
Cons: Easily hear outside noise Not a lot of legroom in the backseat
The Bottom Line: The Toyota Camry is not only the number #1 sold car, but the older models are still the most dependable. I, along with everyone else, cannot be wrong.

A semester before college graduation in 1998, my parents decided to buy me my first vehicle. I didn't care if it was going to be a used car, I just wanted my own.
They took me to the local Toyota dealership and I saw a nice Toyota Celica. Unfortunately, I am 6'5" so I was quite cramped. The salesman told us of a young woman whose parents wanted to buy her a 1990 Toyota Camry. If she didn't want it, I could try-out that car. After I got home that day, the salesman called me to say that the young woman did not like the car and asked if I wanted to try it out for the weekend. Suffice to say, I did. That next Monday, my parents bought me the 6-cylinder DX version. It had 90,000 miles on it, but it was completely loaded (power everything, A/C, tape player, cruise control, etc).
With my height, I need to be comfortable. On long trips, I am able to put on cruise control and stretch-out my long legs. The seats could have a little more cushion, but I would rather have the leg room.
The moonroof is also a plus, especially on warm nights. It helps me save on gas since I do not need the A/C.
After driving this Toyota, I do not think I will ever buy a car from another company. I have told my parents that I would like to purchase an ECHO or another used Camry next year after I go over 200,000 miles, but I don't know if I could ever part with the one I have now. And I am very happy that young woman didn't want the Camry. But I have often asked: what was she thinking?!
Condition: Used