Read Reviews (8) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1991 DeVille

Still going after 330,000 miles

by jlsr:      Aug 8, 2003 - Updated Aug 11, 2003

Pros: Smooth, comfortable ride Good fuel economy Reliability Roomy
Cons: Dealership tries to sell you things you don't need
The Bottom Line: This has been an outstanding vehicle! Reliability, excellent comfort, smooth, plush ride make this car a great car to own.

I have been extremely pleased with my 1991 Sedan DeVille that we purchased in 1991. It now has approx. 331,000 miles on it and is still going. It has LOTS of power and is very quick. This car is a jewel.

This has been an outstanding vehicle. It has never failed to take me where I'm going. I drive about 120 miles round trip each day.

The finish on the car is still smooth and shiny, even after many years of sitting outside in over 100 degree heat.

This car still has the original motor, transmission, body parts, and even headlights! Throughout the years we did regular maintenance (i.e., changed oil every 3000 miles - used Valvoline) but have never had to overhaul anything except the brakes. This great old car does not use oil and still runs almost as smooth and quiet as when we got it 12 years ago.

What I like best is it gets approx. 30 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg city and the smooth, floating ride.

The front seats have held up very well, still plush and firm after 12 years, very comfy. The back seats are very roomy, like sitting on a comfy sofa. Lots of leg room, even for tall men. Six people can ride comfortably in this car. I have worn the leather off the steering wheel after all these miles of driving.

This car is super quiet... highway noise is hardly noticeable, MUCH quieter than other cars I have driven. It appears to have much more padding under the hood, in the roof, etc. than the newer models. It runs very quietly also, people not used to a Cadillac say they weren't sure it was running it was so quiet. I had started looking at different cars, SUVs, etc. when it got over 250,000 miles on it but none were quiet enough, nor did they have the smooth, floaty ride of my old Caddy.

The trunk capacity is very good. We have horses and I have put up to 6 - 50 lb. bags of feed in it, or 4 hay bales. Its amazing the amount of stuff that can be packed in the trunk.

We've had very little repairs over the last 12 years.

Air conditioner had to be replaced in 2001. Heater currently doesn't work, but who cares in Texas.

The transmission is the original one and has never been rebuilt. We did have it serviced as per the owner's manual and at one time a valve or something was replaced. It still shifts smoothly and quietly.

The engine is also the original and has never been rebuilt. Doesn't use oil, smoke, or make any weird noises. Still runs smooth and quiet. The motor mounts broke a few years ago and had to be replaced. It will rattle if you don't use good quality, premium gas.

The motor for the antenna went out a couple times, the last time we just cut the cable to it and left it up. Works fine.

I hope we get another 300,000 miles out of her.

Condition: Used