Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1991 Corsica

Corsica LT -- Eh...

by ames2134:      Nov 29, 2003

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Bulletproof 3.1L V6. Gas mileage.
Cons: Not durable, backseat is cramped, no room in the engine bay.
The Bottom Line: I guess it's all right for high school kids, or someone in a tight bind needing some temporary transportation.

After selling my Bronco (mainly because I needed something more gas efficient), I ravaged the car auctions for some temporary transportation. What I found was a seemingly good-running 1991 Chevy Corsica LT with only 102k miles that ran on both gasoline and natural gas. I stole it at the price of $350. After replacing the rear axle (it was bent because of a tow hook, I believe) and front brake pads, it was ready to pass inspection. Then several other problems popped up.

The Walk-Around
My light blue Corsica's paint is peeling. Apparently, there have been a lot of Corsicas with this problem to eventually have a recall on them. Mine didn't make it, but I didn't care. This was just temporary transportation.

Anyway, the Corsica's body style is squarish and traditional. Rectangular headlights and taillights along with black plastic bumpers and grille give this car a conservative look. It's quite deceiving since the 3.1L V6 packs a little punch under the hood. There's not a hint of rust anywhere. The car itself is not eye-catching whatsoever; it just blends in with the rest of the crowd.

The InteriorThe interior is as conservative as the exterior, with nothing looking out of the ordinary. The front seats sit low, giving you somewhat of a sports car feel. Front seat room is adequate, while back seat room is not. Even with the seats all the way up, it is very cramped in the back. Seat comfort is about average, but keep in mind that the front seats are in need of reupholstery. The speedometer goes up to 120MPH, and there is a gas gauge and a temperature gauge. Some Corsicas also have a tachometer, but mine didn't come with one. There is a cupholder, an ashtray, and a storage cubby in the middle console, and two other cupholders above the glove box.

The radio is awful, but then again, my speakers are all blown. It just your basic AM/FM stereo and four speakers. There's much distortion at higher volumes whether or not the bass is turned up.

Performance
The reliable 3.1L V6 has about 140 horsepower which gets this car up and going quickly. The speed governor kicks in at about 110MPH, but the engine runs out of steam right about there anyway. It's not super fast, but it won't keep you in the slow lane. This car came equipped with a mediocre 3spd automatic that shifts roughly.

Gas mileage was pretty surprising. Even with my lead foot I calculated about 29MPG around town.

The Ride
Stopping power, even with my new brake pads, is just not satisfying. It brakes about as well as my dad's old F150. I believe there are discs in the front and drums in the back. Even after bleeding the brakes, there was no improvement. Not to mention it's a bit too easy to lock up the tires also.

This car is plagued with squeaks and rattles, most of them coming from the back. Road noise is not too bad, but engine noise is a bit too much for a car. The smoothness of the ride left something to be desired, and it needs to have something done about the shimmies and shakes it has above 65MPH.

Did it perform its task adequately?
If you put it that way, then most of the time it did. All I needed was something to get me from point A to point B for a while. However, it did leave me stranded more than once at stoplights. The temperature sensor in the engine had given out, causing a vapor lock problem when commuting in town. You'd have to give it about a half hour to cool off. Also, my transmission fluid pan decided to fall off on the freeway, leaving me stranded. Thankfully I was only a ten minute walk away from a friend's house. As of right now, none of my gauges work, and the car's audible warning system comes on whenever the lights are on, whether the car is running or not. It is not a fuse problem, just an electrical glitch my car has developed. My ignition also quit on me a few days ago.

So far I've spent a total of $850 on this car, including the price. Components on this car are easy to bend or break as I have found out, but if you just need something to get you from point A to point B for a while, it'll work.
Condition: Used