Read Reviews (29) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1992 Prelude

View all reviews by synergetix2001

My baby...

by synergetix2001:      Jan 17, 2002

Pros: Nice body style. Excellent handling. Good Acceleration in 5spd.
Cons: No cup holder and small trunk space.
The Bottom Line: If you're looking for a reliable car, buy a Honda Prelude. It is just as reliable as a Honda Civic, only it looks much better.

Back in 1994 I worked at a pharmacy as a delivery boy. I was 19 years old and drove an old 84' Camaro Z28 I had spent nearly $6000 on performance parts for. So needless to say, I was a hardcore V8 horsepower buff for years. Anyways, the pharmacist I worked for was quite wealthy, he owned a new decked out SUV and a new model Lexus. One day while working, he pulled up to work in a new car. Nice, sleek, shiny paintjob glistening in the sun, it turned my head. "What is that?" I wondered. I had to check it out.

I come outside and ask the (big headed) pharmacist about it. "It's a Honda Prelude", he tells me. It looked awesome. Brand new 1994 model. It was really the first time I had even paid any attention to one. Pretty cool for a 4 banger I thought.
Then the arrogant pharmacist explains that he just paid $24,000 for it, in a tone insinuating that I'd probably never own one for that reason.

Well, fast forward now, 5 years later; it's 1999. I still owned my 84 Camaro Z28, and by this time I had spent nearly $10,000 on performance. This car was a monster. Tons of horsepower. I was living with my girlfriend that I would drive to work everyday. On december 23, 1999, (I will never forget this day), I was too tired to drive her to work (I was hung over). So I let her drive it to work 5 miles away, the first time I had ever let someone drive it. She ends up completely losing control in it (too much power for her to handle), and totalling it in a 4 car collision. My insurance didnt cover ALL of the performance parts I put on the car, so I got screwed.

A piece of me died that day....

So, it was time to buy a new car. My father reads alot of consumer reports and recommended I get a more economical car (my Camaro got 8 mpg.) I agreed. We went looking around at the dealerships and found some Civics, Integras, Eclipses, and Celicas, but none of them triggered anything inside me as being something I liked. Yea, the Civic is economical, but jeez, everyone on this planet seems to own one. Then, while looking around the Honda dealership, I saw the car. It was that Honda Prelude thing that pharmacist bought, with a sticker price of $12,000! Completely forgetting about the keys in my hand for the Civic testdrive I was supposed to go on, I was drawn to the Prelude. "Forget the Civic, I want to drive this car", I told the salesman. After driving it I was even more sold. I didn't purchase the one at the dealership, but instead found a better deal from a private owner. It was a stock 1992 SI 4WS. My friends laughed, because here I was, driving what a few years ago I made jokes about, 4 cyclinder cars, but they liked the Prelude. I knew alot about V8 performance, and nothing about imports, so when I encountered most people, they began asking me if it was a vtec. I'd reply no, and they'd get a disappointed look on their face. So I didn't own the vtec, oh well.

I began adding performance parts on it, starting with a full custom-built catback exhaust system, and intake and headers. It has been about 3 years and I have put alot into it. Now when someone ask's me if I own a vtec, I say "Who needs VTEC anyways?"

I love the Honda Prelude, it is such an exciting car to drive and own. Everywhere I go I turn heads like I used to in my Camaro, only now I get 22mpg.

Condition: Used