Read Reviews (4) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1992 Pontiac Firebird

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by Birdman1975

Finally found my dream car!

by Birdman1975:      Aug 21, 2001

Pros: Powerful engine, styling, comfortable, and mostly everything else.
Cons: Open rear differential, stereo location
The Bottom Line: Excellent car! Lots of power and 25mpg on the highway, I would recommend it to everyone!

Ever since I was a little boy watching KnightRider on TV, I have loved the third generation Firebirds and Trans Ams. I always dreamed of owning one, and I had the posters on my walls and the model cars to prove it. When it came time to buy a new car, I searched for one of these third generation Birds, but I bought a 1996 Z34 Monte Carlo instead. If you read my other review, you know what happened with that car. Once I got rid of that heap, I decided that I was going to buy a third generation Firebird no matter how long it took me to find it. Luckily, fate was on my side and I located a pristine 1992 Firebird at a local car lot the day before I got rid of my Monte. I bought the car right then and there, two hours after they first put it on the lot! I have been enjoying it every day since.

There are many things that surprised me about the car. Even though it has the base V8, a 305cid TBI motor, it has a surprising amount of power. It will quickly accelerate and will even smoke the tires if I am not careful. Sometimes I forget that I am in my Firebird and not my little S-10 Blazer when I pull into traffic and end up giving other people a smoke show. I do have a problem with the rearend in the car, a open differential with 2.73 gears. I would swap in a rearend with a 3.50 posi, the car would accelerate a lot faster and hook a lot better. I am planning on doing this swap as soon as I can locate a good rear axle. As for the rest of the drivetrain, the tranny shifts smoothly and the engine purrs.

Another thing that surprised me about the car is the little amount of wind turbulence that occurs when the t-tops are down. I thought that when the tops were off, it would whip around like I was driving a convertible, but that was not the case. In fact, the amount of turbulence with the t-tops down in my 92 Firebird is actually less than in my Monte Carlo with the windows rolled down. I can even hear the stereo better in my Bird than I could in the Monte, and the Monte had a better stereo system!

The suspension on the car is also very good. The car handles nicely and the steering is not too loose. Right now the car has an extremely cheap set of tires on it, so it doesn't bite as well as it could, but I should be correcting that soon with a good set of tires.

Overall, this car is excellent. I would definitely recommend the car to anyone and everyone. It is very comfortable to my 6'5" body, very stylish, powerful, and agile. Who says that dreams don't come true?
Condition: Used