Read Reviews (12) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1992 Volkswagen Jetta

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 500

View all reviews by madarnell

1992 Volkswagen Jetta

by madarnell:      Jul 31, 2003 - Updated Aug 1, 2003

Pros: Great German Design
Cons: Cup Holders & Trim Moldings
The Bottom Line: I want a new one

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan 4D

My first car was a 1982 Volkswagen Scirocco. A little 2-door sports car. I loved that car and it ran great, until I burned up the transmission. And I don’t blame the car for that cause as a typical male 16 year old I beat the heck out of it. Drove it like bat outta hell!

So from that point on I’ve always’s loved Volkswagens and Bugs and those funky retro looking Vans.

2 years ago my wife wanted a newer car. We had a 1992 Honda Civic DX, which too was a great car. Really had no problems with that car. So being the way I am, if something works good why change that. Well, my wife prevailed and I ask her if she would consider looking at or for a Volkswagen. I told her about mine I had and how I really abused it and that car was great! She said sure and we started our quest for a used Jetta 4 door. We found a black 4 door, 1997 with about 40,000 miles and in great shape.

Here are the details on the one we bought.

Spec’s

*Premium Sound
*Dual Front Air Bags
*Sliding Sun Roof

The Test Drive

From the minute I sat in the drivers seat I loved this car. It brought back instant memories of my Volkswagen Scirocco I had. I had an instant urge to rev the engine and burn off the tires and race down the road till I remembered “oh yeah my wife is sitting here too.” So we both took turns driving .

I liked how the car handles and the steering.Volkswagons have a firmer feel (steering) compared to like Honda's & Toyota's. I also was impressed with the suspension. It had sort-of a sports car feel but not as stiff as some. It rides smoother than my Scirocco did, and for that much my Honda too.It's hard to describe. Volkswagons have their own feel & style to them.

A couple things I don’t like
The cup holders are about useless. You can’t hardly fit anything in them, so they become extra change holders. Also the trim moldings all have fallen of. I suppose being a black car they heat up more and the sticky backing gives out. I’ve re-glued them all on. Also the side mirror adjuster are very hard to use, and is easier to roll the windows down and adjust them by hand.

Parting thoughts
We have had this car for 2 years and haven’t had any real problems with it. The car runs smooth, handles great and get’s decent gas mileage.

I really recommend anyone who hasn’t tried a Volkswagen to give them a shot. They are great handling fun European cars.

We are considering trading this one in on a new Jetta.

Thanks For Reading