Read Reviews (10) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1993 Talon

Handling And Control:

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 500

BEST car I have ever had

by tkerodd:      Feb 22, 2001

Pros: looks good, high engine quality, smooth, great gas mileage
Cons: oil leaks after 100K miles
The Bottom Line: This is the best car that I ever owned. It looked great, ran great, and got excellent gas mileage. I miss it every day.

Back in my single days, when I was just out of college, I wanted to buy a new car. Like most men, I wanted to get a sports car so that I could impress the ladies. Like most new college graduates, I didn't have much money. In looking at the various offerings, I stumbled across a dark green 1993 Eagle Talon. After driving it a couple of times, I was absolutely hooked.

The Talon is basically the mirror image of the Mitsubishi Eclipse, with an Eagle nameplate. The car is a two-door sports model. It has a back seat, but believe me - it is for appearance only. No one over the age of 6 could comfortably sit back there. My Talon was a 5-speed with the basic 4 cylinder engine. It only had 92 hp, but that didn't stop this car from going fast. The Talon has a LOT of torque, which will allow you to pick up speed quickly. I never had any problem speed-wise, and found that the Talon could cruise smoothly at 75 mph.

I had my Talon for six years, and put well over 100,000 miles on it. There were no mechanical problems until after I hit 100K. From that point forward, the engine began to develop small oil leaks from time to time. Although there was no major oil loss, the car did have that hot oil smell constantly. During my ownership, I regularly changed the oil and had maintenance done according to the owner's manual. Outside of the leaking oil, and a couple of battery replacements, I had no major mechanical problems with this car.

The 1993 Eagle Talon was a real pleasure to own. Driving it was like driving on a video game. It ran very smooth, and the transmission shifted like butter. When I sold it, the car had 114,000 miles, was six years old, and still averaged 35 miles per gallon. I miss the car terribly; the only reason we sold it is that we needed a second car that would hold a baby seat. The Talon definitely did not fit the bill.

If you are someone looking for a second car that is sporty, but economical, and will give you good service, give the Eagle Talon a look. My experience is that you will find the Talon to be an absolute pleasure to drive and own.
Amount Paid (US$): 12,500.00