Read Reviews (11) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1994 Mitsubishi Diamante

I've Been very happy......

by yowsaman:      Feb 6, 2004 - Updated Feb 6, 2004

Pros: Big, comfortable, solid and reliable
Cons: Parts are expensive, handling is only so-so.
The Bottom Line: Want comfort and style, this is it.

I bought my 1994 Diamante LS in September of 1998. It had 34,000 miles on it, looked brand new and came with every option available. It drove like it just came right off of the showroom floor. I was thrilled that I found it.
I did some reading about the car before I bought it, so I was already aware of some of it's shortcomings, but I still wanted it.
It is now Feb, 2004 and my Diamante is still running strong. It now has 144,000 miles on it, the paint isn't as fresh as it was (zillions of dings from all the highway driving), but it's interior is still in great shape and there is absolutely no rust; pretty good, considering I live in New England. It needs new struts all around, and the engine has started burning a little oil. The sunroof broke last year and I do not feel like forking out $1000 to fix it. Also, the power antenna doesn't work, but at least it is sticking out. The Infinity stereo system still sounds awesome and the 6 disk CD changer still works fine. All in all, I still feel like I did a good thing buying this car. It still runs very well and starts up every day. I did my own 100,000 mile tune up, which would normally run upwards of $600.00; it includes removing the intake manifold to get to the back 3 plugs. So while I was in there, I put in top of the line platinum plugs and plug wires. Put it all together and it runs great. Had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 96,000 miles for a cost of $560.00.
Basically, I am very happy with my car. It hasn't needed any major repairs yet (not bad for putting over 100,000 miles in 5 years), and it still looks good. Actually thinking of getting it a new paint job and rims.
The styling is still there and it is very comfortable.
If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to take car of the nagging, small things that can go wrong. Luckily, my local Mitsubishi dealer is pretty good, so I get good service and parts when I need it.
Amount Paid (US$): 16,000