Read Reviews (11) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

View all reviews by fazeracer269

Smooth Gas Guzzler

by fazeracer269:      Jul 31, 2006

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Very smooth, excellent steering, safe
Cons: Terrible gas mileage, slow acceleration
The Bottom Line: Excellent for long distance/touring, but just a terrible gas guzzler for anything else.

I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Diamante ES with about 143k miles. Before I begin, I'll just honestly say, this isn't a vehicle that you want.

Performance
The acceleration is definetely nothing to be proud of, since I've personally clocked a 0-60 of about 9.4. It takes it a little bit of time and momentum to get all 3600 pounds of it to go. However, once it gets to a higher speed, it'll start climbing pretty decently. The engine is just too small for a car this size to make it accelerate very well. However, I've reached a top speed of 130mph, but if I had more road left that happened to be a downhill incline, it could reach 135, since I still had at least 1200 RPMs to go before it redlined.

Suspension
This vehicle rides like a Cadillac. It's very smooth, and drives on a cloud. However, my suspension is worn out now, so it's very noisy, and when hitting a decent dump in the road, it sounds like the whole front end suspension is being destroyed.

Steering
This is probably the best part of the car. I absolutely love the steering. The power steering system does an excellent job of making it take turns very smoothly. Nothing else to say about that, except that it's probably the best part of the car.

Comfort
I and 2 friends went on a 9-hour round trip in one night, and were comfortable during every minute of it. The cloth seats are very comfortable, and the backseat is definetely comfortable enough to take a good nap. Mitsubishi also did an excellent job of muffling the wind noise as well, because I had cruise control set at either 90 or 95mph the entire trip, there and back, and we could easily hear each other talking at a regular voice.

Safety
This is probably the safest vehicle in my driveway, in regards to traction and handling in wet conditions. Since it is front wheel drive, you don't have to worry about an open-differential rear wheel drive system causing you to spin off the road. It has driver and passenger side airbags as well.

Fuel Economy
This is most definetely the worst attribute of this vehicle. I personally get an average of about 15mpg. My dad drove it mostly highway mileage one time, and still got 17mpg on average. However, me and 2 friends drove it a good 9-hour round trip in one night, and I got a good 20mpg somehow, because even though it was almost 100% interstate driving, I was cruising at an average of 90, if not 95mph. This is not the vehicle that you want in today's society of controversially high gas prices.

For touring, this is an excellent vehicle, I must say. You can stay comfortable for hours upon hours. However, for driving around town and commuting, it just plain sucks, and I would not recommend it.
Condition: Used