Read Reviews (11) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1994 Mitsubishi Diamante

View all reviews by wtreadaway

Under-Rated and Under-Appreciated by Non-Owners

by wtreadaway:      Nov 3, 2007

Pros: Sound system, good road feel, seats, full spare, solid build.
Cons: Cupholder, large turning radius, depreciation.
The Bottom Line: I'd recommend this car to anyone; it's a hidden gem.

I have a 1994 Diamante ES that I bought in 1995 with 22K on the odometer. I didn't really know much about the car the day I bought it, except that after test driving an Accord and a Maxima, among others, I saw an ad for two Diamante "program cars" (found out that meant they were rental vehicles from a Florida car rental agency). The price was good, so I went to the dealership, drove the Diamante and bought it on the spot. I haven't looked back since. The ES doesn't drive like your usual Japanese sedan; I've had more than one person (my own mechanic and a BMW owner among them) tell me my car feels a bit like a 5 series Bimmer! True or not, I love it, and my only fear is that my car won't last forever; since I haven't driven anything I like better I have no idea what to replace it with! It now has 140K and still runs like new. It gets 17-18 mpg around town in Atlanta traffic; pretty decent, considering Atlanta traffic barely moves. I get about 26 mpg on road trips. Speaking of which, this car is the BEST highway cruiser ever. It's very stable, has lots of top-end speed, is very quiet (depending on what kind of tires you have), and has about the most comfortable seats you will find. Mine aren't power, but they have up/down, forward/backward, seat back, and lumbar manual adjustments. The cloth interior, carpet and interior trim (very little plastic here) has held up beautifully, although the cupholder is truly worthless (probably my only complaint about the car). In 12 years of ownership this car has only been to the shop one time outside of scheduled maintenance, and that was to replace the idle motor. That's it. I don't know that many Camrys or Accords can make that claim. It's never failed to start and never failed on the road. Premium gas is recommended and well worth it in the long run. If you are looking for a solid, reliable used car and you are lucky enough to find a first generation Diamante in good condition, run with it. You won't be sorry!
Amount Paid (US$): 18,000