Read Reviews (31) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by vangogh55

1995 Eclipse RS 2.0

by vangogh55:      Sep 5, 2003 - Updated Sep 5, 2003

Pros: Great Styling, Quick, Affordable, Lots of room in the hatch.
Cons: Rough ride, poor rear stability, small back seat
The Bottom Line: Best car for the money I have ever owned.

INTRO:
It is now 09/2003 and my 1995 Eclipse is actually 9 years old. It was manufactured in 09/1994. Simply said this car has given me a few minor problems through out the years, however this car has never ever left me stranded on the side of some road. Incredible car. First and most notable Eclipse is most arguably the best and most popular sports car of its class ever made by Mitsubishi.

DESCRIPTION:
In 1996 I paid $13500 for this brand new vehicle. The dealer had never sold it and they took off about $4000 off the sticker price for me to take it. It is an RS model, which means it is the most basic however; the dealer had added a few items to help sell it. It has extra features like a rear spoiler, sunroof and center console. A very peppy 2.0L 140 HP 16 Valve engine is what all Eclipse’s come with including GS and GST Turbo except for the Spyder, which has a 2.4L. A 4 Speed Overdrive Automatic Transmission is what my Eclipse has as well. As a stock Eclipse it has a top speed of about 120 MPH. After some upgrades I can take it to about 130 MPH. Not bad for a non-turbo 4 cyl.

MAINTENANCE:
As I mentioned the car has not been perfect over the years. It has an oil leak that I have spotted to be coming from the oil pan gasket (a minor repair) also the motor mounts need to be changed (probably because they have about 125,000 miles) I changed the fuel regulator switch 2 years ago and radiator too. Other than this there has been no problems and the car has never broken down on me. The suspension on this is hard and bumpy typical of a sports car in my opinion. This is not a difficult or expensive car to maintain. On the highway it can be a bit loud driving because of tire noise. The brakes work incredibly well for stock rotors. They hardly ever lock up even on hard stops. I plan to upgrade to larger slotted rotors.
The Eclipse has very easy to read gauges. They are black faced with white fonts. I have changed this to a white face on black fonts that luminate blue or green at night with a brushed aluminum trim. Very nice!

SAFETY:
I have read from other owners that the crash safety reports are not good for this car. I have been in 3 accidents in this car all 3 were major wrecks the frame has held up well and I was never injured ever. As a matter a fact after my last wreck I was amazed the car still looks great (after the body shop)and has not ended up in the junk yard.

CUSTOMIZING:
This car is so easy to upgrade. There are so many Body kits, performance parts, Turbo Kits, interior and exterior dress up parts available. I have upgraded my 95 Eclipse to look like a 1999 for less than $300 in exterior parts. I have added extra horsepower to my engine with Intake and exhaust upgrades as well. Custom Wheels and 17” tires is something else I have added. The Mitsubishi Eclipse has the potential to be a great transportation as well as a very attractive tricked out sports car. From experience I can say this car will treat its driver as good as its driver treats it.

Condition: New