Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora

View all reviews by charlesthe2nd

200,000 plus miles and still going strong

by charlesthe2nd:      Dec 22, 2003

Pros: Muscular lines resemble a Jaguar, phenomenal performance.
Cons: Began falling apart at 100,000 miles.
The Bottom Line: Would buy it again. Best car I have ever owned. Olds got it right.

I bought my burgundy Aurora from a dealer as a lease return with about 35,000 miles on the odometer. Since then, I have logged more than 165,000 miles of relatively trouble-free and reliable transportation.

At almost exactly 100,000 miles (just after the extended warranty expired, of course) the transmission needed rebuilding. At some point, multiple failures of the cooling system components resulted in a cracked block. After the mechanics applied some liquid steel to the crack, it still leaks but not as badly. It also has a main engine seal leak, which consumes about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. There were other miscellaneous repairs -- a window motor here, suspension struts there -- and other things still need to be fixed, such as a compute which always insists that my coolant and oil are low.

But the most annoying item is this Aurora's habit of not starting until the mood strikes. The symptom resembles a weak battery (no movement from the starter motor and an anemic beep of sorts). It might turn over on the 2nd try, or it might wait for the 20th. This in spite of new battery, starter and transmission interlock. Nevertheless, it ALWAYS starts and I have learned to live with the uncertainty, unlike my wife. And I can still punch it up to 70 (that's MPH, by the way, not KPH) at the top of any freeway onramp, excepting Pasadena Freeway onramps, which are all 10 feet in length.

Over all, this is the best-equipped and best-designed car I have ever owned. Replacing it will be difficult. Since it has nearly zero resale value (considering the evident defects), I may just keep it in the driveway for a classy spare car and replace the cracked block at my leisure, after the old dear has been removed from daily service which requires a round-trip commute of 60 miles. Kudos to the Olds Division for an exceptional vehicle, sorry they are not being made any more.
Amount Paid (US$): 23,000
Condition: Used
Model Year: 1995
Model and Options: Aurora (they came loaded = only one trim package with no options)