Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora

View all reviews by rustyrocket

I may never buy GM again

by rustyrocket:      Jul 6, 2002 - Updated Jul 6, 2002

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Smooth power when it works, nice shape, decent room inside
Cons: Expensive repair parts, numerous part failures under normal use, and other issues listed below
The Bottom Line: Recommendation? Run away, and run fast. If this is representative of Oldsmobile Quality, the end of the marque comes as no surprise.

We purchased this car with 61K on it from the original owner (a business owner in his seventies, no hot-rodder type). We did not mind that some trim was a bit loose since that is easy enough to fix.

The problems began after a couple of months. The radiator has begun to leak on the right end tank (no evidence of damage or stop-leak used), the rear driver side ashtray popped up and cannot be latched back down (non-smoker car), the exhaust self-disconnected where the air pump supplies air to the cats, a front A/C air vent housing fell out and cracked up as if it had been in the sun for a century or so, the MAP sensor has failed and the fuel pressure regulator fails to operate properly, rendering a decrease in fuel mileage from 18 in the city to about 13. Lastly, the passenger A/C controls have failed as well.

In all fairness the car does have a relatively smooth ride and decent braking. The roominess of the interior stands out. If nothing else the trunk provides ample room for the repair parts that the car requires on what is swiftly becoming a regular basis.

I bought this car for my Mom with the intention of it being her best one ever, since it is probably the last one she will have. As it stands now I may change that outcome to reflect a trade up to a more reliable, and therefore more safe, car. Time to give Lincoln a try....
Condition: Used