Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 A4

Audi A4 - HONESTLY REVIEWED

by dspeirs:      Feb 27, 2001

Pros: Handling, Transmission, Engine, Value, Seat Warmers
Cons: Cup Holders and Climate Control
The Bottom Line: Even with the disadvantages the A4 is the best car I have owned. Where else can you get the combo of practicality and fun?

I am the proud owner of a 1996 Audi A4. This review goes over this models, which, for the most part is identical to most models after it. If you are looking into purchasing an Audi read on as I will go over what I believe are the advantages and disadvantages of the car.

Advantages:
+ Handling – I haven’t driven a better, solid feeling car. I have the Quattro version which hugs corners. Like most German autos, the car is built very solid.
+ Transmission – I have the 5 speed stick and it shifts like a dream. Again, it shifts better than any other car (even my moms BMW, sorry ma’)
+ Engine – the 2.8 is nice and peppy. I couldn’t imagine a 1.8 – if you are going to get a car like this spend the extra cash and get the 2.8.
+ Seat warmers – I admit it, I am a California wimp but what a nice feeling having a warm butt on the way to work. Once you have them you can’t live without them (ok, unless you live in Phoenix).
+ I love the smaller size which adds to the great handling. If you don’t like small cars try the A6 or Ford Excursion.
+ Zilch problems with the engine or car (knock on wood)
+ Value - a comparably equipped BMW costs more (even the 323 a smaller engine)

Disadvantages:
- Cup holders – what were these guys thinking of. Under the arm rest? It only fits one size and when, not if, you spill something it gets hard to close. I think the guy who designed it was the brain behind the K car design.
- Climate Control – Boneheads! Hello? Whenever you turn on the climate (heat or air) the air conditioner comes on. You then have to hit the air symbol to turn the air conditioner off and leave the rest on. THEN to turn the stupid climate control off you have to keep pressing the “-“ fan button to turn it down until it turns off. The single most frustrating thing in this car. If any users know any shortcuts let me know. Or, better yet, if you know the guy who designed this drop me his telephone number, or better yet, address.

Items You Can’t Miss:
· Quattro – incredible handling
· Seat warmers (sport package with ski condom which doesn’t fit a snowboard with strap bindings but will fit snowboard with clickers)
· Remote door unlock – I don’t have this but wish I did. Audi does not have a light near the key hole to make it easy to put the key in the lock thus you get lots of nice scratches.

Condition: Used