Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 A4

Didn't know the Germans were this good!

by jmforgey:      Apr 11, 2003 - Updated Apr 11, 2003

Pros: EXTREMELY smooth ride. Super high quality and engineering.
Cons: Poor gas mileage. Climate controls. Leather is hard.
The Bottom Line: This is the first AUDI I've owned, and it won't be the last!

Simply the nicest car I've ever owned. The design and engineering put into this vehicle is intense. Many top notch features and ergonomic adjustments. The A4 has a very smooth and quiet ride. The suspension is firm, yet giving. 172 horses from the 2.8 V6 provides decent power for the relatively small sedan. The manual transmission almost sucks the stick shift into the next gear when accelerating. The A4 has extremely good cornering, although I hear the Quatro is even better. It has a very sleek styling and clean looking interior. The paint is still very glossy and of high quality. I love the look of the leather seats, but they seem a little too firm for my standards. The car also has a really good BOSE stereo system. The only problems I've had are that the A/C doesn't work and it guzzles gas. Overall an awesome car, can't go wrong on this one.

WARNING: the repair costs on the AUDI are very high. The quote I got to fix the A/C was around $500 and a quote to replace the timing belt alone was $800. This was at a German Motor Specialist, not the dealership. The AUDI dealer quoted me at $1200 for the T-belt. My wallet wasn't ready to handle these type of costs, so I ended up trading the AUDI. Get one under warranty if you can... but before this scares you away, take one out on a test drive. You won't regret it.
Amount Paid (US$): 8,000