Read Reviews (23) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 Chevrolet Impala

View all reviews by Jonny-Carlos

A Driver's Car

by Jonny-Carlos:      Jul 7, 2000

Pros: style, power, appreciation
Cons: not owning one personally

I work for a band running sound and shuttling around the various members of the band. I am fortunate enough to work for a band that owns not one, and not two, but three Impala SS's, although only two of them are of the late model B-body series. So on the weekends, I drive them around town and whatnot, and have fun.

First of all, the late model Impala's are the attention getters. Especially the '95, although most report that bucket seats and a floor shifter (as in the '96 that my boss also owns) are more fun. I disagree. But they both move. Driving around downtown Iowa City, IA, those in Camero's and Mustangs that are foolish enough to rev up their engines at the stoplights (while I'm off getting gas for the boss man) are quickly put in their place. The optional .373 rear and Callaway Supernatural kit rachetts 0-60 time into 5.7 space, and all in downtown! I've also raced a Mitsubishi 3000GT on the interstate once, and had it killed 70-160, the extra two gears in the 3000 gave it the final edge, but who races three miles straights anyway? Anyway, enough racing exploits. The '96 is stock, and drives like a Cadillac, but at a Chevy price (although the late model SS b-bodies are only appreciating nationally). The '95 has had Callaway treatment (for those who have Cadillac money to throw at their rides) which includes an engine build to 383 ci and supercharging and so forth (see callawaycars.com/impala) which makes it a mean limo. The bottom line is that a stock Impala SS moves and has style. My boss could have opted for a Caddy or even something exotic and imported, but domestic Tuxedo Black was the order of the day. The stock '96 also moves nicely ... just remember an Impala SS is just a police issue Caprice Classic 9C1 but with style.

As for any potential buyers reading this, its a good deal. In stock form, this car will get you from point A to point B with no problems, turn heads, and I guarantee that you will make money on the deal. These cars are only apreciating and show no signs of ever letting up. They have wow style, power, grace, and a name like no other. The Impala has been called the "Last GM Musclecar." And since when have you seen anyone else producing musclecars? The Ford Crown Victoria (my father owns a '99 police interceptor with all of the civilities) has the wimpy 4.6 (281ci). The Mopar has ... the 300? Nice car, but front wheel drive. The new Impala? Same worries as the 300. The Impala SS is genuine muscle, and will make money for you as well as bring back a joy of driving that those of us born in the age of Escort have to find, we aren't borne into it.