Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 Ford Bronco

Handling And Control:

1996 Eddie Bauer Edition

by agelina:      Nov 6, 2000

Pros: Powerful, beautiful, roomy truck
Cons: Bad gas mileage

I wanted a good looking sport truck that was not too long, that you'd have a prayer of parking in the city if you needed to. Tahoes and Suburbans were ruled out for this reason. I wanted a full size that I could fit snowboards inside of, in back. As a bonus I found out I could also fit my mountain bike in the back without having to take the front wheel off. Full size sport utes are great for this reason. An Explorer, Jimmy, or Blazer will not let you do this. The GMC Yukon GT was the only other full size 2 door I considered.

There is plenty of room and amperage for a stereo. You can sneak an amp and a subwoofer in the back. Nice aftermarket speakers (separates) will fit under the front grilles. A CD changer will fit inside the center console. I left the rear speakers alone. The truck has little vibration, which is suprising for a large American made vehicle. It sounds really nice. There's plenty of juice left for a speakerphone and a 400W power inverter.

I have mostly driven on road. I've been off road about ten times with it, and the 4WD has pushed through 12" puddles, 9" mud, and 10" of snow without any problems. The truck is big and heavy, which gives you a safe feeling on and off road but requires greater stopping distance than you think you need. The 5.7L V-8 in the Eddie Bauer is powerful, mostly at lower speeds/rpms. Cruising on the highway is comfortable up to about 75 mph. If you want to speed, buy a Mustang instead.

People up to about 6'4" should be comfortable driving this vehicle. I don't think people under 5'6" would be comfortable. The upright driving position can take getting used to for people coming from sedans. There is plenty of room in the comfortable captain's chairs up front. I drove this truck for 15 hours one day, towing a trailer, and I felt fine at the end of the day. The rear bench seat is OK, not great.

1996 was the last year Ford made the Bronco. It may be a collector's item someday. Maybe not. I love the way it looks and drives. I intend to keep it until maintenance costs are too high to go on. I have about 90,000 miles on it now.

Handling And Control: