Read Reviews (14) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 Geo Tracker 2 Door

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by studiomedusa

SCARY! Read this before you even consider buying!

by studiomedusa:      Mar 24, 2007

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Looks, Storage space, roominess, gas mileage
Cons: Hard to control, EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, sound system sucks, sluggish
The Bottom Line: I would NOT reccomend buying these vehicles. I think they are unnessicarily dangerous.

Ok... first I'd like to say that I've wanted a geo tracker for YEARS, and finally got my first one a few weeks ago. It was a '96 with a few minor problems, but in good condition for the most part. It was the 4-door model with the hard top. It was great for storage, very roomy & comfortable. It would have been perfect for me, except for one major thing... it rolls over very VERY easily.

2 days after I bought it, I packed all of my belongings, my dog, 2 cats, and myself into the car and tried to drive it from Atlanta to Tampa. It did wonderfully despite only being able to reach 85mph and being shaky & very noisy on the highway. (There car's were obviously NOT built for highway driving) It is very difficult to change lanes due to the sluggishness of the vehicle, and the brakes are not as responsive as I would like them to be. After driving for 6 hours, I was an hour & 1/2 outside of Tampa when one of my cats tried to get out of the carrier. I looked down to push him back in his cage, and when I looked up again, I was slightly off the road. I corrected the vehicle, but instead of straightening out as any of my other cars would have, it fishtailed across all three lanes of the highway, spun around & rolled over. I was absolutely SHOCKED at how easy it was to loose control of that car & roll over in it. Now, I do have to say this - it did an amazing job of withstanding the rollover, neither the animals nor I were terribly hurt... but, if you do buy this vehicle PLEASE BE AWARE OF HOW EASILY IT ROLLS OVER!!! You may not be as lucky as I was. I bought this car knowing this, but thinking I could just take my turns more slowly & it would be fine. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE. Please think twice before purchasing this vehicle.
Condition: Used