Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1996 Isuzu Rodeo

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by littlebuddy96

Don't want to get rid of her

by littlebuddy96:      Jun 17, 2006 - Updated Jun 17, 2006

Pros: Room, appearance, durability, easy to keep looking good, a solid SUV
Cons: gas guzzler, burns oil pretty fast but with high miles its to be expected
The Bottom Line: I'd recommend her, especially if your on a tight budget and not looking for anything flashy. Solid old school SUV (watch the oil).

1996 LS Rodeo w 185,000 miles, still runs well, easy to clean, good for hauling, cheap insurance & long paid for, time to upgrade but why?

Bought her in 2000 to meet 3 stipulations- the "new car" needed to have under 100,000 miles, under $10k and have a manual transmission. Got her w 98,000, for $10K and w a manual transmission.

She's been good to me, and we've driven her across the country, on National Forest roads frequently and all around Atlanta. Great for hauling gear, friends, the bike and household garbage to the dump. We've even camped in her a few times. With 185,000 miles, problems since ownership include installing a new radiator, and, um, thats about it. I put in a new timing belt when bought, and change the oil regularly.

The only ongoing issue is the annoying but manageable knocking in the engine. Lifters, rocker arms or something its beyond my mechanical scope of understanding. I've experimented with and found engine oil additives that mitigate the problem until the next oil change. (BG 111 worked best, but I can't find it anymore. MOA works well)

Otherwise with a significantly increased amount of driving the higher gas prices are eating me alive, so I feel like its time to upgrade away from the SUV. Problem is I really don't want to get rid of a car that still rides well and has maintenance issues I understand, is long paid for with low insurance premiums and still looks good (great after a wax).

Amount Paid (US$): 10,000
Condition: Used
Model Year: 1996
Model and Options: LS (non-4wd)
Handling And Control: