Read Reviews (38) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

View all reviews by mroyce7644

caution about service

by mroyce7644:      Dec 19, 1999

Product Rating: 4.0 Recommended: No

Pros: very nice car
Cons: Poor Customer Service

We leased a 96 Jetta 3 1/2 years ago and have been quite happy overall.
The local dealer has very good with service and follow up. About 3 years into our lease the drivers side window motor needed to be replaced at the cost of $268, the work was preformed quickly and without problem. 3 months later the drivers side rear window stopped working. Upon taking our Jetta to the dealer we were informed the electric motor needed to be replaced, for another $250-$300. We contacted VW of America to inquire if there was a problem with the electric motors that operate the windows.
We were told no,we inquired as to any help VW of America would provide in replacing the rear window motor. They checked with the local dealer about service already done on our Jetta, and then informed us that there was nothing they would do as our Jetta was out of warranty.
I discussed with VW that I considered replacing the first motor as wear and tear on the the vehicle, but that the rear window gets used very little and considered the motor defective. I was not asking VW to absorb the whole cost replacing the motor but some compensation should be considered.I also explained that our lease was almost up and we would be looking at new vehicles.
Their position was that the vehicle out of warranty and there was NOTHING they would do. The local dealer took 20% of the bill when they replaced the motor VW of America did NOTHING Great customer Relations!!!!

Recommended: No