Read Reviews (60) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

Handling And Control:

mountainhigh is an Advisor on Epinions in Home and Garden

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 50

View all reviews by mountainhigh

1997 Chevy Blazer 4-Wheel Drive

by mountainhigh:      May 7, 2002 - Updated Sep 29, 2002

Pros: Sporty Looking, Easy to Maneuver, Dark Tinted Privacy Windows
Cons: Nothing
The Bottom Line: Our entire family loves this Blazer for its easy maneuverability, sporty looks, and better than average gas mileage for a SUV.

We bought our 2-door 4 wheel drive 1997 Chevy Blazer new in February of 1997. It currently has 87,000 miles on it. If you are researching for a used sport utility vehicle, I am sure you are wanting to find out about the reliability, repairs, gas mileage, and what you can expect for overall performance from buying a used 1997 Chevy Blazer.

Features Ours Has

Automatic transmission with overdrive
Vortec 6 cylinder engine 190 hp (tune-ups at 100,000 miles)
Instra-trac 4x4 transfer case (pushbuttons on the dashboard)
Air conditioning
Driver air bag only
AM/FM stereo with CD player and 4 speakers
19-gallon fuel tank
Front tow recovery hooks (very useful)
Four wheel anti-lock brakes
Touring suspension (softer ride)
Deep tinted glass (really dark on rear sides and hatch for privacy)
LS trim consisting of: tilt steering wheel, cruise control, power windows and door locks
Driver's seat 6-way power adjuster
Rear defroster and wiper
Luggage carrier
Remote keyless entry (no alarm)
Overhead console consisting of LED outside temperature display and directional heading
Sliding electric sunroof
Outside spare wheel and tire carrier mounted on rear with cover
Towing package
Underbody shield package
Wheels 15x7 aluminum cast

Performance

The 1997 Chevy Blazer drives and rides as smooth as a car, except you are sitting higher. The turning radius is excellent in this vehicle, which makes it very easy to park, back-up and make u-turns. The engine has been powerful enough to yank out our 1999 Chevy Tahoe stuck in the ditch of snow using the recovery (front tow hooks). The Blazer climbs up steep terrain with ease as we live on top of a mountain. Off road driving, while not as smooth and cushiony as the suspension of a Chevy Tahoe, is smooth. The steering is tight and it handles curvy roads easily. It has never taken a curve and try to tip over.

The 1997 Chevy Blazer uses regular unleaded fuel and averages about 19 mpg in city driving and about 22 mpg on the highway.

Who Probably Would Not Be Happy with the Blazer?

Each of my family members are 5 foot 9 inches and shorter and everyone with the exception of my husband enjoys driving the Blazer. My husband likes it and will drive it on short distances, but driving in any distance over an hour, he prefers his Chevy Tahoe, which is a larger SUV. So, it would be my belief that a taller person that would have to drive a long distance in this vehicle or someone that is use to a larger SUV might not find it as comfortable as my teenagers and myself.

Repairs

The front disc brakes had to be replaced at 34,000 miles. The rear brakes just needed to be cleaned and adjusted. The cost was $135.00.

The rear wiper motor was inoperable at 35,000 miles. The manufacturer's warranty covered this.

The fan belt needed to be replaced at 37,000 miles. The cost was $60.00.

The tires got chewed up quickly on the gravel roads and had to be replaced at 50,000 miles. The cost was $440.00.

The fuel filter needed replacement at 62,000 miles. The cost was $50.00.

The gas gauge became erratic at 65,000 miles. This required replacement of the fuel sending unit and the instrument panel cluster. The cost was $700.

The upper and lower ball joints went bad at 71,000 miles. We had found out that the place we had been taking it to for oil changes had not been lubing for quite some time as we were shown that the ball joints area was bone dry. The cost was $572.

The CD player said its final good byes at 75,000 miles. The cost for a new stereo with CD player was $145.00.

The accelerator was hard to press upon initial acceleration at 78,000 miles. This required replacement of the throttle body. The cost was $482.

The 4-wheel drive became inoperable at 82,000 miles. This required replacement of the servo 4x4 actuator. The cost was 138.00.

The original battery gave up at 83,000 miles. The cost was $80.00.

The driver?s side lower door panel broke and replacement would cost $282, however, we are just going to epoxy that back together.

The driver's side seat handle came off at 84,000 miles. We are just going to epoxy that back on also.

Maintenance

We change the oil every 3,000 miles and have changed the transmission fluid once. We have had to change the air filter twice.

Final Impression

Our family really loves our Blazer for its sporty looks, its dark tinted private windows, its easy maneuverability and roomy cargo area. The Blazer has a nifty feature on the rear hatch window whereas you can push the button in to release the hatch. We own 4 sport utility vehicles (since we have to have 4-wheel drive where we live) and the Blazer is the favorite with our teenagers. We have never regretted buying this vehicle.

Be sure to check out my other SUV reviews by clicking on "More Reviews by Mountainhigh" which will take you to my profile page where you will find a scroll down menu bar titled "My SUV Reviews".

Thanks for reading my review and I hope you have found this helpful in your decision-making.

Amount Paid (US$): 25,400.00