Read Reviews (27) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1997 Dodge Intrepid

Still Impressed!

by breezin:      Jul 22, 2004 - Updated May 11, 2006

Pros: FAST! sporty, excellent stereo, good gas mileage, built to last, reliable
Cons: Low front windshield, very low front end, brakes
The Bottom Line: The Intrepid offers more than enough power, room, and features to make anyone happy. It's perfect for a single person or a family.

I had just recently purchased a 1997 Dodge Intrepid ES. I was forced to buy a new car because my '97 Plymouth Breeze was totaled(not my Fault). However, as much as i loved my Breeze, I think the Intrepid might be a good replacement. Simply because the GM brand is flat out junk and the Ford Offering is nice, but kind of boring. Besides, when you spend lots of time in your car, you would like something fun.

When I started looking at the local Dodge Dealers, My dad suggested I drive an Intrepid. I originally wanted a Stratus/Breeze/Cirrus after i had such good luck with the Breeze. Anyway, we had run across a 1997 Intrepid ES in a nice "Spruce" color(I would have called it Blue/Green)with silver trim. I told him that i didn't really what something that big, but he insisted I have nothing to loose. So, I drove it and fell in LOVE!!! Now, since I'm not really good at explaining one thing at once, I'll put things in categories so there's a better understanding.

MODEL/OPTIONS/INTERIOR:
As I said before I bought the ES model, which is the Top-Notch model. It came with tons options such as: Power windows/locks/mirrors/dual power seats, keyless entry with alarm, 4-wheel ABS disc brakes, 17 inch rims, Infinity sound system with CD/cassette, front bucket seats, fog lights, overhead console with outside temp. gas mileage, traction control and so on. The back seat is huge with enough leg room and head room for three larger people. The Infinity sound system is absolutely SUPERB!! The back speakers are mostly bass and can really rattle. For the most part, the interior is pretty quiet except for some road noise. Seating is comfortable and offers excellent support for both front and rear seat riders. It is very easy to get in a good driving position because of the 28-way power seats, which allow for almost any position.

ENGINE/RIDE/EXTERIOR:
My Intrepid came equipped with the 3.5 liter DOHC 214 horsepower V6 engine. This is the best part of the car. Honestly, the car could probably burn most six cylinder sports cars. It has excellent stop light get away and more than enough passing power. Also, its quite surprising, but it gets pretty good gas mileage for its size. About 22mpg in the city and about 32mpg on the highway. As far as the ride goes, it is VERY smooth because of the 17 inch tires. The Exterior of the car is, in one word, gorgeous. Everything just flows together so nice that the car looks perfect. Because of the Cab-forward design, the tires are pushed out to the sides of the car as far as they can go. I think this gives the car a very sporty look.

OTHER:
A few things i don't like about the car is the huge dashboard and really low front windshield. Sometimes it is hard to have a full view of the road because the window is so low. Also, the dashboard is so big it sometimes reflects in the windshield. Both of these issues are more of annoyances than anything. One thing I forgot to mention is how the car handles. It handles like nobody's business and can turn a sharper corner than most compact cars. This makes the car extremely fun to drive

OVERALL:
Overall, I think the Intrepid is a great car. Most people think that four door cars are strictly family cars. I will be the one to tell you that this isn't a typical four door family sedan. You honestly forget that your driving a car with four doors because of its power out-put and tight handling. It has features that you can't pass up. I absolutely love this car and am happy that i was able to find one in my price range. I would highly recommend this car to anyone and will continue to purchase Chrysler products.

*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*
After owning this car for pretty close to a year now, I am Still impressed with how the car performs, handles, and its economic factor. My Intrepid has just recently rolled over 146,000 miles and it still runs strong. I drive longer distances to work and school each day so the economic factor is really important, especially with the gas prices! I continue to achieve about 32 miles per gallon on the highway, which is really good for a car this size. I was also impressed at how well the the car handles in the snow. I am able to drive through places where other cars get stuck!
I have performed regular maintenance,like oil every 3,000 miles, 4 new tires, brake pads, and i did replace the driver-side tie-rod(both inner-and outter). It did have one minor recall, and the Chrysler Dealer took care of it with no trouble at all. Also, one of the back speakers blew, but thats my fault:) Other than that, my Intrepid has never given me a bit of mechanical trouble and I am very pleased with my purchase. I plan to keep this car until it dies, and at that rate, it could be a while!

UPDATE!!! 5/11/06
Well, it's been another year. I will soon be trading this car in and I wanted to let everyone know my final thoughts of the Dodge Intrepid. As I approach 200,000 miles, there really isn't too many bad things I can say about this car. It has never once let me down. With little other than regular maintenance, it has always returned a smooth ride and great gas mileage. I also found out that it holds up very well in a minor accident. A Cadillac Escalade made a lane change in front of me and I drove away with a minor scrape and a busted headlight. However, we all know that cars are not meant to last forever. I have recently started having some problems with the brakes and there have been some noises coming from the front end. But with this many miles, some problems are to be expected. It still has the original 3.5 engine and transmission and still runs great. I would recommend this car to anyone. I hope to trade this car in for a 2005 Chrysler Sebring from the same dealer that I bought the Intrepid from, so I will try to get a review up on that car soon too.
Condition: Used