Read Reviews (11) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1997 ELANTRA

Great Second Car

by pincmp:      Jun 4, 2001

Pros: Economical, Hyundai has great service, Lots of room for dogs.
Cons: Not much pep. Slow on the hills.
The Bottom Line: I would highly recommend this to anyone needing an efficient, roomy vehicle. It's not a car for those looking for power or speed.

We recently bought a 1997 Elantra wagon from our local Hyundai dealer. We paid 7,800.00 for it, including tax, etc. It had low mileage so we have the balance of the manufacturers warranty as well as the dealer warranty.
We had a 1995 Escort wagon that was totaled so we needed to replace it. We have two dogs that we take to shows and travel with and we needed a vehicle that was cheap and roomy. This is perfect. We can put in two large crates, an x-pen, a grooming table, our chairs, cooler, etc. and still have room.
We get excellent mileage and the dealer has been wonderful with maintenance. In the first week we had it there seemed to be some slippage going in and out of first gear so we went back. The service manager made an appointment for a week later and changed the transmission. Period. No arguing or anything. He didn't even suggest tightening the linkage. He told us that Hyundai stands behind everything and have told service shops to replace. Period.
Our other car is a 2000 Maxima so it is hard to not compare the two, however, if I wasn't used to the "zip" of the Maxima this car would be fine. It gets great mileage and is a comfortable ride. The suspension is not as tight as the Maxima but it doesn't feel sloppy. There is some road noise but nothing awful. The CD player is nothing great but it sounds fine in the small space of a car. The dash is well planned and everything is easy to find/reach.

Amount Paid (US$): 7,200.
Condition: Used