Read Reviews (14) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1997 900

View all reviews by wadupchico

Worst car, worst reliability,

by wadupchico:      Dec 30, 2007

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Turbo, Trip and fuel computer, turning capability
Cons: EVERYTHING, except mentioned above
The Bottom Line: The cars suspension absolutely sucks. You feel every bump really bad.

This car has quite honestly been nothing but a living nightmare. I have owned it for 10 years now, and since the day I bought the damn thing, it's drove me crazy.

The exterior of the car has stayed in good condition, except for the roof (it's a convertible), which in the last few months has started leaking so bad I feel like I am sitting under a waterfall in my car when it's raining outside, but as soon as you get inside, oh god. I am by no means of the imagination a messy person or careless in the things that I own, but the leather is not dependable at all. The leather looks like utter crap, and I have always treated it with leather cleaner. I am not a fat, heavy person either, so it's not like my weight could have been a factor, The fact is, whatever the engineers of Saab wanted to create back in 1997, they should have taken a little bit more time and effort into what they were putting into the car and make sure that it would last.

When I bought the car there was always something wrong with it and in the beginning it was every other month it was in the shop, but now it's more like every other week.

In the last 18 months, I have put in over $13,000 worth of work into this piece of crap car that I'm never going to see again. And I didn't even replace the transmission or turbo! But practically every other component of the engine has failed and needed to be replaced.

Currently for the last 3 weeks, the car has been parked outside of my house completely dead because the compressor completely locked up and the car won't even turn over. My dealer wants close to $3,000 to put in the new compressor and hoses that work with it. I'm by far so fed up with this car, that while following the tow truck back to my home I was wishing that the car would just fall off the back of the flat bed and that this horrible nightmare would be over.

After all of this, I have, in the last 10 years, put well over $100,000 into this car, including the cost of the car, interest on the loan, towing fees, maintenance, parts and labor, and rental car fees while the car was getting fixed.

All in all, if you are looking for a used car and you come across this one, don't even think about buying it, unless you want to endure what I have and other people have. And if you currently own one, I truly hope you don't have to go through what I have gone though, and I advise you to get rid of it as soon as possible.

This is possibly the most unreliable car that was possibly ever invented. I also own a 2003 Saab 9-5 ARC, that I am so much happier with that car. Saab really improved from 1997 to 2003, and is also a lot more comfortable and luxurious.
Amount Paid (US$): 48,000