Read Reviews (10) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

UPDATE TO REVIEW DONE IN 2001

by uidjs:      Dec 9, 2005

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: I've usually been able to get from point A to point B.
Cons: It's cost me as much in repairs as it has in car payments.
The Bottom Line: This thing is garbage. I forgot to mention, this is a NOISY car. Lots of rattles and creaks for no reason.

This is an update to a review I previously wrote on this product way back in 2001. My username was dockhday and I wrote the review on November 29, 2001. Unfortunately, I don't use this site much and I ended up having to create a new ID because epinions will only send my password to the email I registered with (which I don't have access to anymore). You can read my original review here on the 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass epinions page below this one.

The reason I wanted to update my review is because I have now owned the vehicle for over 4 years, and it is hands-down the worst vehicle I've ever owned or known to be owned by anyone. I still drive it because I still owe another $2000 on it. Until it is paid off I cannot buy anything else (still a student). When I bought it (and probably when I wrote this old review) I intended to make alot of extra payments and would have had it paid off completely by now. The reason I haven't been able to do that is because this car has cost me on average around $2500 per year in repairs and replacements.

Rather than detail all the repairs I've had to have done on this P.O.S., I'll just summarize. In the 4 years I've owned this thing, I have put about 80000 miles on it. In that 80k, I've had to replace the brakes twice, the alternator twice, the heater core, the distributor twice, all 4 tires twice, the entire cooling system has been replaced once (but still needs repairs every 6 months or so), the rotors went bad twice, the ABS does not work and the entire electrical system is shorted out in random places. To get this car to 100% working condition, I would need to sink about $4000 into it and even then it'd just be WORKING, not great.

One might question whether or not I am simply hard on my vehicle. The answer is no. In fact, I treat the thing with kid gloves knowing that at any moment, an entire system might blow and leave me on the side of the road. It appears that GM just made a really BAD vehicle. I see very few of these on the road anymore, but the few I do I always try and talk to the owner if I get a chance. Almsot all of them tell me they have had similar experiences. The vehicle was very poorly made, and all of the systems are cheap and shoddy. This is what the labor movement has done for American cars.

Bottom line, if you're a high school or college student (the only ones who would be looking at a car like this at this point) and you come across any 1998 Olds Cutlass, SKIP IT. You'll find yourself replacing everything very often. I've paid $10000 in car payments and $11000 in repairs in the last 4 years for this total junker.
Amount Paid (US$): 12500?
Condition: Used