Read Reviews (37) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1999 GMC Suburban

Handling And Control:

LOVE THAT 6.5 TURBO DIESEL

by ak1990:      Nov 29, 2004

Pros: Plenty of room. Rides and handles great. Push button 4 wheel drive auto trac system.
Cons: a/c system could be better.
The Bottom Line: Buy one! Tons of room, reliable, lots of nice features. Suburban has been around forever and no other manufacturer makes anything like it.

I purchased my GMC 2500 SLT 6.5 Turbo diesel used in May of 2001 with 65,000 miles on it. I fell in love with this vehicle the first time I drove it. For such a large truck it handles and rides very well. Around town gas mileage is 15 and highway around 20. The best thing is the towing power. It tows my 6000 lb. travel trailer with ease and it still gets about 14 mpg. The added suspension of the 2500 package is very noticeable when hauling a trailer or large load in the cargo area. The interior is very roomy and there are plenty of cup holders and cargo space. The seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of leg and head room. I am 6'3" and am very comfortable no matter where I sit in the vehicle. The push button four wheel drive system is great. You push the button on the fly and the 4 wheel drive engages smoothly. It also has the auto trac system where the front wheels kick in if the rears start to slip. My wife loves this feature during the winter months.

I have had a few problems since I bought it. At 90,000 mi. I had to have the fuel injection pump replaced. The cost was $2000. Lucky for me this item is covered with the 120,000/10 year warranty so it did'nt cost me a dime....this time. I had to have the right rear axle seal replaced $150. The drivers side heated seat went out due to a broken heater wire that is integrated into the seat cover. I replaced the bottom cover myself at a cost of $350. You might think thats crazy but the heat from these seats is amazing. I am just now starting to have problems with the a/c system. I have a leak somewhere. When the a/c is working the dual a/c works well.

All in all this Suburban has been worth the money. GMC has this people mover mastered. It is great for long trips as well as short trips around town. The diesel is worth the extra money in my opinion, if you can find one for sale out there. This is a very rare vehicle as not many were made and have not been made after 1999. I plan on keeping mine until the body rusts out. It now has 115,000 miles and is running strong.
Amount Paid (US$): 24,000