Read Reviews (13) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by metallimark

Best luxury SUV on the market in 99

by metallimark:      Jan 31, 2006

Pros: Very luxurious / comfortable. AWD very responsive in the snow and ice.
Cons: Fuel Injection "recall". AWD not responsive enough in the slush. No V8.
The Bottom Line: Overall, this is the best midsize luxury SUV available in 1999 and has been a pleasure to drive (knock on wood!)

I purchased this vehicle used because I wanted a luxury SUV but could not afford the pricy Cadillac Escalade, SRX or Lexus/Acura midsize SUVs. This vehicle lacks nothing in comfort and luxury, and has just about every option that my 94 Cadillac Deville had, plus some options before it. The only major problem I had was that there was a service bulletin (which is basically a recall that GM isn't willing to pay for) on the Fuel Injection system. The fuel injectors get really clogged and then the truck has trouble accelerating until it's warmed up because the engine doesn't get adequate fuel. I had the fuel injectors replaced with the "redesigned" fuel injectors, and now it runs fine.

The SmartTrac all-wheel drive system is great- the vehicle runs in rear wheel drive until it needs four, and then kicks in automatically. It then kicks into rear wheel drive when it doesn't need all four. However, I find that it does not kick in quickly enough in slush, spinning out the back tires. But it works great in snow and ice.

This is a true luxury SUV, with a smooth soft ride like a Cadillac and very comfortable leather heated seats, with tons of room in the front and back seats. I go on 3 hour drives to my aunt's house in New Hampshire and I never get uncomfortable..... something I couldn't say about my Cherokee that I used to have, and felt uncomfortable after an hour. The automatic climate control, automatic headlights and lumbar support all work great and the truck has a descent stereo. The only thing about the automatic hedlights that I don't like is that they cannot be turned off manually when they go on automatically (but can be turned on manually).

The 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 (based on the Chevy 350 Vortec V8) has descent power (190 horsepower), but a V8 should have been an option for more power, and the transmission is smooth. The truck also has excellent cargo space with a convenient cargo cover and cargo net, and the opening back window works gret, but the button to open it freezes in the icy weather.
Condition: Used