Read Reviews (47) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1999 V70

So you don't want a SUV and you'd never be caught dead...

by Rizar:      May 7, 2000 - Updated Jun 12, 2000

Pros: Styling, Safety, Ride
Cons: none- well worth the price tag

...in a Mini-van, then the Volvo V70 XC AWD is the car for you.

Our family is a Volvo family. The Cross-Country is our fourth Volvo. We had a 240 DL, a 740 Turbo wagon, and a 850 GLT sedan. These cars are built like tanks and last just as long. My parents first bought Volvos because of their reputable saftey record. But since the mid 90's Volvo dropped most of the boxiness and tried new styling with more aggressive lines. They created ultra safe cars with stylish looks. Who would have thought that people would buy Volvos because of their appearance.

The Cross-Country is the ultimate alternative to the hulking SUV beasts that are so popular these days. It provides enough room to haul the kids about, yet is sporty enough for the lead foot in all of us. With 190 hp this bad boy is ready to move. It has an extra inch of clearance for any curbs you accidentally hit and with the full-time four wheel drive, trips up the ski lodge are a snap.

With the car fully tricked out you get: 15 inch rims, a winter package which includes seat warmers, rear window and side mirror defrosters, as well as a roof rack and headlight windshield wipers (a seemingly useless device, but it clears the snow off the headlights so you can see during those winter night squalls.) Other amenities include a fully adjustable moonroof, CD/Tape radio, power windows and seats (driver and passenger) and buttery leather throughout the interior. One other great feature is a net that retracts from the rear passenger seats and attaches to the inside roof of the car. This net keeps whatever you are hauling in the back of the car during an emergency stop. Innovative thinking from an innovative company.

With a different suspension than previous Volvos, the ride of the Cross-Country is not as rigid or sporty as other models. However, it still retains the feel and temper of its European roots. The car fits more snuggly too. Though it looks bigger outside, the interior feels smaller than other Volvos. It might feel cramped to larger drivers, but on average it seems like there is more than enough room.

I have always enjoyed the feeling of driving a Volvo. The sense that you can navigate every curve and bump in the road. It makes me feel more secure, like I am part of the car. Other cars I have driven felt like I was driving a boat. I had no sense of the road conditions or speed of the car. It's like driving a car on novocaine.

I have no doubt as to the saftey of Volvos. They have airbags for both the driver and passenger. In addition, there are side airbags for side-collision impacts. I feel like I am driving one of the safest cars out there.

I like the look and feel of the Cross-Country. It is aggressive yet comfortable. It comes in a variety of colors, but I think the Cross-Country looks its' best wearing black with a tan interior. I would stay away from the Navy blue and Hunter green colors. The Navy blue finish looks black from afar, but as you get closer the color looks a bit purple-ish. As for the Hunter green finish, it has this wierd yellow tinge in direct sunlight. But if black isn't your color, the silver, white, and red finishes do look spectacular. If you still think Volvos are boxy, look again. If you are looking for a car with SUV characteristics without the gas guzzling, then look no further. For a fantastic family car that doesn't drive like one, take a look at the Volvo V70 XC AWD Wagon, you won't be disappointed.