Read Reviews (39) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2000 Galant

View all reviews by jdouglas1

NOT ALL THAT IT IS CRACKED UP TO BE

by jdouglas1:      Jan 4, 2000

Pros: SLEEK AND VERY STYLISH LOOKING
Cons: THE 2000 GALANT ES ESTIMATED MPG NOT AS ACCURATE AS STICKER PREDICTS, PREMIUM SOUND PACKAGE NOT WORTH IT IN MY OPINION

The Mitsubishi Galant has been well known for its reliability and longevity. I should know, I own a 91 Mitsubishi Galant LS with 160,000+ miles on it. I liked my car so much that I went out and bought the new 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4 cylinder with the premium package. (The ES is one step below the LS) Then when you add the premium package of:
1. Power glass sunroof with sunshade
2. Mitsubishi infinity am/fm stereo cd player with 7 speakers
3. Anti-lock brakes
4. Front seat side bags
5. 15 inch wheels
6. Security system
7. Drivers lumbar support (a must for traveling long distances)
8. Rear heater ducts and heated sideview mirrors
Now your getting pretty close to the LS model.
Being a previous Galant owner, you can expect, I had high expectations of the new 2000 model. But I must say, it fell short. The mpg stated on the sticker of 21 in the city and 28 highway isn't quite accurate. This car has a 2.4 liter, single overhead cam engine with automatic transmission. (the same as my 91 galant) I do half of my driving on the highway and the other half in the city. I'm lucky if I break 300 miles to a tank of gas. The 2000 Galant gas tank hold 16 gallons. (I know this because I ran my tank to empty and then filled it back up) My 9 year old Mitsubishi Galant still gets 375 to 400 miles on a 16 gallon tank. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to take my new car back to the dealership to find out if something is wrong. Back leg room is cramped unless you have front seats pulled all the way forward. (This would be very uncomfortable for anyone 5 foot 3 inches or taller) The Anti-lock brakes, if pushed too hard will create a heavy rocking motion in the car and as well in the brake pedal. The dealership assures me this is standard in all anti-lock brakes. (humm) The premium sound package is not all that it is cracked up to be. I did a comparison in my 91 Galant 6 speaker stereo with a couple of friends around and they all agreed the 91 galant sounds better then the new infinity stereo 7 speaker system in the new 2000 Galant. (This stereo system comes only in the premium package)
Okay Okay now lets look at the good things.
Front and side airbags in my opinion were a must. The 2000 Galant has front and rear crumple zones, safety cage body construction, side impact door beams, 3 pt front and rear seatbelts and height adjustment front shoulder belts. The 2000 Galant has a very smooth ride and changes gears just as well.
For skiers who don't want to pay the price for a sport utility vehicle the 2000 Galant has a rear seat with truck pass-through. The design for this pass-through was very well thought out.
Overall if I hadn't been a previous Galant owner I would say other than the anti-lock brakes (comes in premium package only) and mpg, this car is great. But being that I am a previous Galant owner my opinion is "They don't make them like they use to"