Read Reviews (26) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 1000

I Love My New SUV!

by kent4489:      Oct 15, 2000 - Updated Oct 15, 2000

Pros: Perfect vehicle for me.
Cons: None!

I canít believe I am actually writing an automobile review. Iím not the least bit mechanically inclined, but I absolutely love this vehicle. Iíve had my new 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada for a month now and have decided to give my opinion of it.

Well, as I said, I love it. I think I must be hooked on SUVs. I got my first one, a 1994 Chevrolet Blazer, about 6 Ĺ years ago and must say I was very pleased with it. About 3 years ago, we bought a Mercedes 560SL, a 2 seat convertible, but we kept the Blazer for winter driving. I always preferred driving the Blazer though. My husband has always had a pick-up truck for his vehicle. He provides his employees with a pick-up truck, so when he hired a new employee last spring, he gave him his own truck and started driving my Blazer. With winter coming up, my husband mentioned that he would look for a new truck, so that I could have my Blazer back. I asked him how he would feel about trading the Mercedes for a new SUV and he could keep the Blazer for work. He readily agreed and so my search began.

I did some research on the Internet and quickly decided on an Oldsmobile Bravada. We went shopping the next day and I found one I liked OK, but it wasnít exactly what I wanted. The salesman did a search for the exact options I wanted, but did not come up with anything. Back home, I did some more research and found a website that lists cars in stock at various dealerships. Bingo! I found the exact Bravada that I wanted at another local dealership. We bought it the next day.

Now, the details and what I like about the 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada. First, most equipment is standard on the Bravada, so not a whole lots of options to have to choose from. I liked that it already came well-equipped.

This is a partial list of the standard equipment included in the base price of $31,498.00.
(In the interest of keeping this review from being too long, I am omitting common items such as wheels, tires, etc.)

∑ Driver & passenger air bags
∑ Theft deterrent system
∑ Keyless remote lock control w/ illuminated entry
∑ Electric tailgate release
∑ Daytime running lights
∑ Electric rear window defogger
∑ Pulse wipers and rear window wiper/washer
∑ Rear door child security locks
∑ Smart Track all wheel drive
∑ Leather seating surfaces
∑ Front bucket seats w/recliners
∑ 2-way power lumber adjusters
∑ 6-way power driver seat
∑ Split folding rear seat
∑ Luggage rack w/adjustable cross bars
∑ AM/FM Audio System w/seek-scan, cassette, CD
∑ Cruise control w/resume-accel
∑ Deep tint glass in rear windows and tailgate
∑ Fog lamps
∑ Power outside breakaway mirrors
∑ Power windows w/driver auto down

I was impressed with the theft deterrent system. If this vehicle is turned on in any way other that using the key, it shuts off the gasoline supply. I like the keyless entry as it makes unlocking the doors very convenient. My husband said the Smart Track all wheel drive feature is a good thing. It automatically detects the need for 4-wheel drive and switches it immediately. The leather seats give a real rich feeling and the adjustment features offer a comfortable ride. I think the split folding rear seat is a wonderful feature. It makes it nice if you do need some extra long space in the rear and still allows a seat for a third passenger. The power outside mirrors are nice as you can easily adjust both from the drivers seat.

Here is an abbreviated list of other content included in the base price. (Again, I am omitting common items.)

∑ Driver/passenger illuminated visor mirrors
∑ Leather steering wheel w/tilt
∑ Overhead console w/trip computer, digital compass, outside temp
∑ Overhead storage space
∑ Overhead universal garage door opener
∑ Retractable rear cargo cover and convenience net
∑ Two front auxiliary power outlets
∑ Two front towing hooks

I really like that overhead stuff! (Doesnít take much to excite me- <grin>) The console gives a lot of information. I especially like that it tells me how many miles I can drive until I run out of gas! It also tells you how much gas you have used and your average miles per gallon since your last fill up. The directional compass and outside temperature readings are nice. There are two small storage units, one I use for my insurance card, dealership service department card or other little important items. The second storage space is for sunglasses. My husband still laughs because I am so excited about this. I cannot drive in sunlight without sunglasses and I love that I can always find them so easily. The universal garage door opener is a terrific item. You can program 3 garage doors and you have no need to carry a separate opener. I like that this is built into the overhead area. The retractable rear cargo cover is really nice to conceal valuable items left in the rear area. I find the convenience net to be a real plus, keeping groceries and such from rolling about in the back. With two auxiliary power outlets, I can plug in both my cell phone and my laptop computer. (Iíll only use both if my husband is driving and I am the passenger- <grin>)

With all of these features, I only have 5 additional options added on. (I believe there were 5 other options available, none of which I wanted.) The options on my Bravada, as well as the additional costs are as follows.

Convenience package Ė $57.00 (priced at $757. w/$700. savings)
o Passenger power seat adjuster
o Driver side seat memory control
o Heavy duty towing package
o Six speaker Bose sound system
Heated seats - $250.00
Gold package - $175.00
Steering wheel w/radio controls - $125.00

On the convenience package, the driver side memory control is a wonderful feature. Using the keyless remote, I can program the seat adjustments exactly the way I like them. My husband can also program his remote to his personal settings. I was never very happy getting into the car after my husband had driven to find my seat settings all messed up. Now it automatically adjusts to my personal preferences. The upgraded Bose audio system sounds great. I wasnít sure I would like the heated seats, but we had a cold day last week and it was nice to be surrounded by toasty warmth. The gold package, with the gold pin stripes and gold emblems give the Bravada a really classy look. Iím still not used to the radio controls being on the steering wheel and still reach over to adjust the radio. I find this very convenient when I remember they are there. When my phone rings, I find the mute button on the steering wheel to be a real benefit.

With the options and destination charge, the total vehicle price is $33,150.00. General Motors was offering a $2,500.00 rebate at the time we purchased the vehicle.

I believe there are 6 exterior color choices and 3 interior color choices. I think mine, with the Pewter exterior with Pewter interior is just gorgeous.

The warranty on this vehicle is a 3 year / 36 month bumper-to-bumper no deductible warranty. There is also a 6 year / 100,000 mile rust-through warranty. There are a number of extended warranties available as well. The fuel economy guide states that the Bravada should average 16MPG in the city and 20MPG on the highway.

As I said, I love this vehicle. The 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada is my favorite vehicle of any I have ever owned. It gives a nice, comfortable ride and I really enjoy driving it.

Handling And Control: