Read Reviews (23) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Ease of Conversion:

Good overall - but lower intake manifold gaskets a surprise

by chos9:      Mar 21, 2004

Pros: Great directional stability, excellent gas mileage, lots of room.
Cons: Beware cooling system, especially lower intake manifold gasket leaks.
The Bottom Line: Can probably buy used one cheap because OLDS is now an ORPHAN, but look carefully for coolant leaks.

Lots of pep from the 3.4 L engine, yet the excellent gas mileage is an unexpected benefit for a vehicle of this size ( Interstate driving, 1 passenger, some luggage, steady 74 mph, and get 23-26 mpg with the A/C on.) For an American car, handles very well; much better than my '87 and '92 Dodge Caravans (long wheelbase). This car goes exactly where its pointed, does not wander around, is not at all affected by crosswinds or passing trucks on the Interstate. There is lots of room inside, although to remove and install the seats takes a bit of muscle and dexterity. Driver comfort is OK, but even with the 6-way power seats, I can't seem to get far enough from the pedals, and I'm only 5'8". Seat cushions are a little short; they hit me in the middle of my thigh, and this gets irritating on a long trip - like a pebble in my shoe.

I particularly like the rear audio controls - so the 2nd row passengers can listen to a source different than the driver's. Also like the convenience of the seperate controls for rear heat/A-C.

NOW my complaint - I baby this car - all services completed when scheduled - all driving on suburban streets and Interstates - don't tow trailers or haul payloads - don't hit potholes - don't hit parking curbs - never been in accident. At 47000 miles, IMAGINE MY SURPRISE TO FIND THAT THE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS AND THE TRANSMISSION COOLER HOSE COUPLINGS WERE LEAKING. I am absolutely outraged! There are no wear or moving parts at issue. GM engineering has made a design error and they won't 'fess up. My Oldsmobile dealer's service writer claims that GM is not offering any courtesy warranty. Cost to repair: $724.

So, if you are looking at a used GM anything with the 3.4L engine, look carefully (have a qualified mechanic evaluate, because evidence of the leaks are very difficult to see) for coolant leaks around these gaskets.
Condition: New