Read Reviews (93) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2000 Camry

View all reviews by ellisaudio

Great Car!

by ellisaudio:      Dec 28, 2008

Pros: I have owned 8 different cars, and this one is easily the best.
Cons: Not perfect, but a wonderful car!
The Bottom Line: A sublime car!

I purchased my 2000 Camry in 2001 with 35,000 miles.  Since that time I put 74,000 miles on the car and a have only experienced 1 mild problem.  I love the car.  I have the CE model with a 5 speed transmission.

While there is nothing fancy about the car, it remains VERY tight.  The doors remains sold/firm. The steering is positive, and the breaks are great.  The manual shifting is smooth and precise - much better than the Ford Mustang I test-drove a last year (I didn't buy it).   And the Camry's 4cyl engine continues to run like an old Singer sewing machine - very smooth.

The only problem I have experienced is a moderately noisy left rear wheel bearing.  The droning sound was most profound at 60-65mph.  After some guesswork via one mechanic, the dealership found the problem in the left rear side of the car.  The wheel bearing was causing the nose.  The wheel was tight and had no slop, but the bearing made noise when under load.

I have experienced 2 cars that were more pleasant to drive - a new BMW M3, and a fairly new Porche Boxter.  Both of these cars were very precise.  Unfortunately, these cars don't age very well.  I drove an M3 at @ 100k miles and it was very harsh, the window seals were torn, there were air drafts etc etc.  .  I drove a 1988 Porche 911 at @150k miles - It was slightly better than a 2 1/2 ton Army truck.  My Toyota ages much better than a BMW or Porsche.  My belief is that Toyota uses better rubber in their seals and bushings than those German folks.

My Camry remains profoundly reliable and is very nice to drive.  It was so good that several years later I purchased a Toyota mini van.
Amount Paid (US$): 12000