Read Reviews (7) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Cadillac DeVille

The New Wave of American Cars

by rselsky:      May 20, 2001 - Updated May 20, 2001

Pros: Engine, price, roominess, safety
Cons: Some features are difficult to use
The Bottom Line: This car represents the strong American car manufacturing business. Invest in craftsmanship, quality, and safety. In short, this is the car for anyone anywhere near this price range.

I recently test-drove the Cadillac Deville. This car proves that American cars can still compete with the best foreign cars. The style, luxury, and engine all made this car a wonder and beauty to drive.

Cadillacís Northstar System integrates four-wheel disc brakes with advanced ABS, traction control, four-wheel independent suspension, and speed-sensitive steering which, when combined, provide an amazing ride, and tremendous safety.

The aluminum 4.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 is a wonder at delivering low emissions and excellent mileage with smooth, quiet operation. The model I tested, the Deville, had 275 horsepower at 5600RPM. This massive engine really made for nice pickup when entering highways. I never felt loss of control though, when I was really accelerating, the engine gave plenty of power but kept itself in check.

I attempted hard acceleration on tighter curves then I normally would to test the Stabilitrak system. This system is a vehicle stability system. The computer that runs this system determined when I started to slip and corrected the problem with light braking on wither of the front wheels. I was able to make sharp turns quickly without feeling loss of control of the car or grip on the road.

The comfort on this car is phenomenal. The massaging seats are something that you will find on few other cars, if any. The car is equipped with massaging lumbar front seats to help ease the stress of a long ride or a long day at the office. The system uses a continuous roller system, gently massaging your muscles in ten-minutes cycles.

The rear seats are raised to provide a theater position for an improved view. Between the two front seats, youíll now find a center seat. The car can be converted by the flip of an armrest from a comfortable bucket seat configuration to a three-person bench configuration.

Heated front and rear outbound seats, which are optional on the Deville, have dual-zone controls providing heat either in the backrest only, or heat in both the backrest and seat cushion area.

The legroom and headroom for the back seat is amazing. The rear seat is also equipped with airbags. Three adults could very comfortably fit in the back.

The sound system is also a winner on this car. The CD player and eight-speaker sound system really shine with any type of music. The changer is located in the glove box for easy replacement of CDs.

Although it was not available on the model I tested, night vision was one of the most interesting and exciting things about this car. Incredible infrared technology allows you to see up to five times farther than your low-beam headlamps can reach. I wasnít able to test this at night, but the idea of knowing what is that far ahead is very comforting to someone like myself who lives in the woods and lives in fear of coming around a corner right into a deer.
Amount Paid (US$): n/a