Read Reviews (16) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Lanos

View all reviews by epiniongiver

2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport

by epiniongiver:      Feb 9, 2002

Pros: Excellent design, great gas mileage, fairly roomy.
Cons: Had 7 months - so far the cup holders are the only complaint.
The Bottom Line: If you are looking for an affordable car that will get you from point A to point B, I recommend to keep Daewoos as one of your options.

As I started looking for a new car, my options were Honda Civic, Volkswagen Golf or Volkswagen Jetta. Because I am in college I need a small size car to be able to squeeze it anywhere there is a tiny gap. The Jetta was too big, while the Golf could work. I decided not take chances with Volkswagens, because of my dad's bad experience with his 1995 Jetta. His clutch and transmission went out at about 65K miles (Could always be that specific car, or just my dad, but just in case I still crosseds all Volkswagens off). Honda Civics are just too expensive and there is too many of them on the road, I want something different. Also, because there is so many of them, the theft rate on Civic is high - I don't want a car that has a high chance of being stolen. At the same time, when compared to Daewoos, Hondas too overpriced. For the money that I paid for the Lanos I only found Civic that were basic editions, totally stripped, even no CD player. So, no Civics for me.

So, I started looking at Daewoo Lanos Hatchbacks and I started to be amazed. First of all, I want to say that I have a Sport edition of Lanos Hatch, which looks quiet different from the basic edition. Standard it comes with leather, cd player, power mirror (passenger only), power windows, silver looking dash, sport body kit, dual airbags. All these we on the car when I saw it and it looked very appealing. You don't really see a lot of sport editions on the street. Even now, seven months after I got mine, I have only seen one! I love originality.

Description:

INSIDE:
Well, it's definately roomy for two people. Back seats are there, but only for those times when you just need to fit somebody. I do not recommend planning on using those seats for people, otherwise you will feel their legs in your back. Back seats do drop down, so you can lay something long in your trunk, but the seats don't lay flat. The instruments are very easy to use and well organized. Only passenger mirror is powered, the driver's is manual, but I think that it's fine since it saves me money, while you can easily adjust mirrors. You get driver and passenger airbags. Love the leather - it's a combination of red and black. The only thing I want to complain about is stupid cup holders that are just to0 small (medium size drink) and no sunroof, but I think you can get in on some cars.

OUTSIDE:
I think that design is amazing. If I understand correctly, the actual design is though of by Italians that than sell them to Daewoo. So, you can count on awesome looks. Again, great looking car. I have aftermarket sport wheels and tires, so I have people complimenting on the car all the time.

RELIABILITY:
The car is cheap....is it reliable? Well, I've had it a little over seven months and the only problem i've had with it is the check engine light came on once. I took it to the dealership, but by the time I got there the light went off on its own. The mechanics said that is probably came on because I have an aftermarker muffler, which is a sport design so there is a slight difference from how the factory one worked. For the last three months the light hasn't been on, so I take it no problem. I think that the car hass treated me great so far, but like people say:"Time will tell". Any car would need to be worked on sometime, with this car the only thing I've had the dealership work on is changing oil and filters.

ENGINE:
Well, when it come to acceleration, Lanos with its E-Tec engine does not really do it for me. Acceleration is a bit lacking, but I manage.

PRICE:
The purchase price was great. The only thing you should remember is that unlike Honda Civics, Daewoo do not really hold their price that well. A lot of people are right when they say that when you drive that Daewoo off the lot the price already drops like crazy, when compared to a Civic, for example. That's why I recommend buying a Daewoo that is not brand new with factory sticker, but one that somebody already drove and which has one or two thousand miles, because for those two thousand dollars you can really bargain the price down with the dealer. That's what I did. I bought mine when it was six months old and had 2,400 miles.
Amount Paid (US$): 7,500