Read Reviews (28) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Dodge Durango

Handling And Control:

BUYER BEWARE: Don't Buy The 4.7 Liter Engine!

by scharnet:      Apr 18, 2004

Product Rating: 3.0 Recommended: No

Pros: SEATS! Drink Holders Infinity Stereo System ROCKS! All the bells and whistles!
Cons: ENGINE Design (4.7 liter only) DODGE MECHANICS MPG RIDES/SOUNDS LIKE A TRUCK
The Bottom Line: Buy a 5.2 or 5.9 Steer clear of the 4.7!!

I consider this more of an "express" rating, so I can alert anyone considering buying a used Durango.

THE 4.7 LITER ENGINE IS DISPOSABLE. What that means is - if something goes wrong internally they can't just replace a part, the whole entire engine needs to be replaced (cost is around $7,500). If you buy one that is their 5.2 or 5.9 the parts are fixable.

How do I know this? We went on a trip and the check engine light started to flash, so we took it to the dealer where we were. He found the #5 spark plug had broken off, so he replaced it ($95). It still didn't run right, so we brought it to our local mechanic. The part of the spark plug that broke off went into and destroyed a part of the engine. If we had the 5.2/5.9 that would have cost around $300 to fix. We thought maybe he was full of it, so we went to an independent mechanic - and he also came to the same conclusion.

The main ONGOING problem we had was that the Durango's idle surged alot when at stop lights, and it would die during the first run of the day at stop signs or stop lights. Nothing showed on the Dodge computer, and we paid $80 for a suggested new battery - didn't fix it. Another mechanic said the air filter assembly wasn't on right, so he "fixed" it. It still died. I researched the Dodge customer forums, and didn't find this to be a common problem so I posted a comment, and found a few people who had "been there" and gave suggestions. In fact we had it scheduled for a second opinion on the idle, tune up and break job before our trip, and the mechanic didn't have time to do the tune up or break job - had the tune up been done they would have replaced the spark plugs!

The only thing else I can say as a negative - MPG, which you'd expect with an SUV, and it handles like a big truck.

The main positive side: SEATS!! It seats 7 - although the back bench is tiny and not meant for adults. Front heated seats are quite comfy! Seats fold down quite easy for larger cargo area.

Condition: Used