Read Reviews (37) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Dodge Neon

View all reviews by lojack_ii

2001 Neon: 3/5--see why...

by lojack_ii:      Jul 31, 2003

Pros: Solid performance, Decent price, Good on gas.
Cons: Too small, lacks power, low-budget feel.
The Bottom Line: If you are small and you want a pretty good quality first car.

This has been my girlfriend's car for the last two years. After studying it thoroughly I decided to give it an Epinions rating:

The price is what makes this car worth a 3 rather than a 2. I am 6'4" and I cannot stand to drive this car. Even with the seat all the way back and the wheel adjusted up as high as it can go, I still can't get comfortable behind the wheel. The passenger seat is pretty good because it slides back pretty far but I can't really sit in the passenger seat and have someone else behind me because there is no room for the both of us. This car is just really small. Sitting in the back is a nightmare. Even for shorter people it's hard to get comfortable back there. You'll come out with wrinkled clothes, sweaty skin, and cramped muscles.

LOOKS (C+)

Nice if you like it. It's common but pretty good looking. I personally don't like it much but you can see it for yourself. The interior is sort of cheap looking. It's really cramped and nothing exceptionally appealing stands out in it.

DRIVING (B)

Pretty good. It has some pickup and can get up to speed pretty well. It's small so handling in tight spaces is easy (unless of course you're like me and can't fit behind the wheel very well). But, even though it's small and easy to fit into almost any spot, it doesn't have very impressive visibility out the back window. It's designed so that the rear dash comes up on an angle and this reduces visibility when backing into spots. The brakes go pretty fast in this car and you'll have to replace them fairly often. One nice thing about this car is it's gas mileage--you can go a pretty long way on a tank with this car.

STORAGE (B+)

For a small car there is a nice sized trunk with good storage room. The back seats also fold down to give you more loading space. Because the car is so small I gave the storage rating a boost.

DURABILITY (B+)

No major problems have occurred in about two years of use however, the brakes tend to wear out a little bit faster than other cars I have/had. They get really squeeky in wet weather especially.

CONCLUSION:

A good car if this is a first car or you are on a budget. If you are tall make sure you take a long test drive because this car will start to cramp you up in no time once you really start driving it for more than a few minutes.

Amount Paid (US$): 12,500 (can)
Model Year: 2001
Model and Options: Standard model, Autoimatic.