Read Reviews (59) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Ease of Loading:

View all reviews by Thump93yj

The best so far, Dodge Diesel

by Thump93yj:      Dec 21, 2000 - Updated Dec 28, 2000

Pros: Big, reliable, simple
Cons: It could use some grab bars/straps on the driver side to ease getting in and out

This is my third Dodge Truck. Having owned GM, Dodge, and Ford trucks in the past, I have clearly found my favorite. I have to mention that all the prior trucks I've owned were in the half ton class. My 2001 Dodge is a Ram 2500 (3/4 Ton), extended cab, 4x4, long bed.

Style - Since it's rebirth, the Dodge Ram has changed very little. It seems people like the style. They say, if you're successful, you will be imitated. The new Ford and GM trucks have gradually taken on the large truck hood designs. The interiors are comfortably laid out and extremely functional. The cloth and carpet held up very well in my previous Rams and I expect the same with this one. I love the addition the rear storage tray/organizer under the rear fold down seat. The center armrest/console on the front seat is the same as prior years and just as functional and big enough for a laptop. My paint is Driftwood Satin Glow. While the name is a bit goofy, it is a nice silver paint that doesn't require as frequent a trip to the carwash to look nice. The 16" aluminum rims are just large enough to fit over the huge brakes. They add a rugged yet sporty look to this big truck.

Power - It's a Cummins Turbo Diesel. Enough said. For the sake of this opinion, it is awesome. My main hobby is off-road recreation in my Jeep Wrangler. I haul my heavily upgraded (36x12.5x15 Interco Super Swampers) Jeep around on a 18' car hauler trailer. I have pulled this same setup with a Ford 302 equipped and a Dodge 360 equipped. They pulled ok but the motors worked extremely hard and suffered on hilly terrain. The Cummins pulls without missing a beat. I also use this truck to commute daily in heavy urban traffic 20 miles each way. I average 16 mpg in the city and 10-12 mpg pulling my Jeep and trailer on the highway (trailer and Jeep weigh approx. 5,700 lbs.).

Other - Dodge makes life easy with the small things. Heated mirrors for those icy days quickly defrost. A light sensitive rear-view mirror auto dims those annoying brite lights behind you. My girlfriend loves her lighted vanity mirror with dimmer switch (I have one on my side too). The sound system is great with six speakers and finger tip audio controls on the back side of the steering wheel. These are nice allowing you to maintain your hand position while driving. Tow package equipped trucks come pre-wired for trailer brake controlling units and 7-way trailer plugs. Trip mileage (2), engine timer, warning lights for everything (low windshield washer, fuel, air-filter, water in fuel, etc.), thermometer, compass, mpg calculator, distance to empty calculator make you feel like you're driving a Cadillac. Hauling a load in the back is simple with the built in anchor points strong enough to lift the truck by. The spare tire is now secured by lock and key hoist. This means no more stolen spare tires or tires secured with chain and padlock sure to get dirty and corroded beyond use. The suspension is stout but never skips my cd player.

Maintenance - You will gasp during the first oil change. 10 plus quarts of oil as with most diesels. But it's worth taking care of an engine designed to give you 300,000 miles or more before a rebuild. The Cummins is a simple diesel to maintain. Plug it in for those below freezing temperature nights with the convenient plug behind the grill.

All said, I love this truck and plan to keep it until if falls apart. I really enjoyed my previous Dodge Rams which were both 1500 4x4s. However, the diesel meets my needs and more.

Ease of Loading: