Read Reviews (14) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

Ease of Loading:

View all reviews by scarecrowdavid

No Frills- Good Value

by scarecrowdavid:      Feb 20, 2003 - Updated Feb 21, 2003

Pros: Price:Standard Ranger with no frills under $10000.Reliable.Economical.
Cons: Underpowered for highway driving. Not suitable for more than 1 passenger.
The Bottom Line: Good reliable and economical second vehicle for family or fleet truck for business. Would not recommend as primary family car.

I bought my 2001 Ford Ranger new last year to fill a basis need for a no-frills pick-up truck. The Ranger I bought was just that, a no frills vehicle. It has the 4-cylinder engine, standard transmission, vinyl seats and an AM-FM radio. It was also one of the only pickups we could find new for under $10000.

Performance: This little truck runs like a charm. If you just want a good little reliable vehicle that will start and run without a problem, then the Ranger is for you.It also gets very good fuel economy.The 5-speed standard transmission shifts as easily as my little old 㥌 VW Bug used to.This makes it kind of fun to drive around town, although I don’t recommend it if you’re stuck in traffic often. Other than that, the engine runs smoothly with nary a hiccup. The only complaint is that the 4-cylinder can seems a little underpowered on the highway, because it is not geared for high speed driving.

Comfort: The standard cab will really only seat 2 people comfortably, so if you plan on having more than one passenger, this is not for you. The seats are reasonably comfortable and there is a little bit of storage space behind the seat, but not really enough for anything significant. The AM-FM stereo has four speakers, which in that little cab sounds pretty good. If you are going to travel some distances, I would recommend getting the Automatic transmission at least, because your clutch leg will get tired after a while. You might also want to spring for the cloth seats.

Hauling: Naturally, the main reason for having a pickup is to haul stuff in the bed. The standard Ranger has a good size bed, (6 ft.), that’s wide enough to accept a sheet of plywood, which will hang out the end. Of course, the plywood will have to sit on top of the wheel wells, but that is true for any compact pickup. Bottom line, you can put a good size load in the bed, (37.3 cu. ft.).

Overall, the standard Ranger is a great value for under $10,000, especially when you consider the XL start at an MSRP of about $14,000. It really depends on how you intend to use it. This is great vehicle for the small business owner, who needs it to haul items around town, or someone like me that just wants a second vehicle to back up the family car.

Condition: New
Model Year: 2001
Model and Options: Standard Ranger (Fleet)
Ease of Loading: