Read Reviews (31) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 TAURUS

mike.holmes is a Top Reviewer on Epinions in Music

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 500

View all reviews by mike.holmes

TAURUS IS A GREAT BUY!

by mike.holmes:      Feb 22, 2001

Pros: Great acceleration, stylish, easy handling car for a good price
Cons: Gas mileage could be better
The Bottom Line: If you want a stylish, excellent performing car that gets adequate gas mileage and is very safe, Taurus is for you.

I decided that I would testdrive two very popular cars today that are in direct competition. I first drove a 2001 Toyota Camrey SE. I found that it had great acceleration, was comfortable and stylish.

I then drove a 2001 Ford Taurus SES and discovered that it had great acceleration, was comfortable and stylish. The Ford had one big selling point for me: It was $5500 less expensive.

Both cars claim to get 20mpg in town and 27mpg on the road which is good although not as good as the Honda Accord.

I drove the cars on the very wet, cold day and I must say that they both handled very well.

The Taurus SES comes standard with a 3.0 liter V6 Automatic Overdrive Transmission, all-season tires, 5 spoke Painted Wheels and an 18 gallon fuel tank.

The SES has a remote keyless entry system and body colored moldings.

The handling of the vehicle is excellent. With the V6 I could reach 90 in a few seconds and the car was very quiet (although not as quiet as the Camrey). The visibility was excellent and the defroster worked very well.

Taurus is very highly rated safetywise with the SES having what Ford calls the Personal Safety System, Dual-stage airbags and optional side airbags. It also comes with anAnti-Lock braking system and a passive anti-theft system.

Style-wise, my less than discerning male eyes don't notice that much difference from its predecessors which I always thought looked great. But the car is less "oval" in shape and I think better looking than Camrey or Honda.

Ford also has a better selection of colors. I drove a beautiful silver job with very comfortable seats. I'm 6'3" and I had plenty of legroom in the front and back.

If money means something to you, I believe the Ford Taurus is a great buy.
Amount Paid (US$): 19610