Read Reviews (7) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by elisabeth123

Best SUV on the Road

by elisabeth123:      Jul 3, 2001

Pros: Great appearance, design, and handling
Cons: None other than minor convenience problems.
The Bottom Line: I highly recommend this vehicle. It has a great appearance, handling, and a safe comfortable ride.

I recently purchased a 2001 GMC Jimmy. I had decided I wanted a SUV, but was unsure as to which model I wanted. I do not like the appearance of the Explorer, the Oldsmobile Bravada was a weak model, and all other models looked like tanks. I finally test drove a GMC Jimmy and fell in love with it. The Jimmy is my first car and I could not be more pleased. It is not perfect, but is extremely close. The handling, design, and overall experience, are excellent.

HANDLING

The Jimmy has a very smooth ride. The brakes are excellent and are very responsive. However, they are needed when going around turns because the Jimmy, like most SUVs cannot go around a corner at too high of a speed. The tires will squeal if you go too fast. However, on all other parts of the road the handling is excellent. Acceleration on the Jimmy is also very good. The model I own has a V6 Vortex engine with 190 horsepower. Not as much as some, but it kicks in when you need it. The only problem I have experienced is when going up steep hills you do need to put the pedal to the metal. The acceleration works, you just need to apply plenty of pressure to the accelerator to make it kick in. However, that is the only problem with acceleration I have experienced. My model also has electronic 4WD which works like a charm when off-roading.
Also, the Jimmy has great big side mirrors that let you see practically everything. I love them and feel very safe that I can see the road around me.

DESIGN

The body shape of the Jimmy is very nice. I have a 4-door model, which comes in very handy. I would hate to have a 2-door model and try to cram people in the back through the driver's or passenger's door. So if you have children or plan to carry more than two people I would highly recommend a 4-door model, which is more expensive, but well worth the extra cost. The outside appearance is very nice and has a well thought-through, sleek design. My vehicle is a maroon color and I think it is gorgeous. All the models I have seen have a chrome strip around the bottom of the doors, which adds a nice touch.
The interior of the Jimmy is very driver friendly. All the buttons and switches are in convenient places. The lights, windshield wipers, cruise control, and turning signals are all easily accessible. The radio and climate controls are also easily reached from the driver's side. My model has power doors and windows. The seats also have power controls including up/down, forward/back, and lumbar support which is GREAT for long drives. The sound system in the Jimmy is very good for being factory. It has very clear, strong sound. Storage inside is also great for certain things. In my model though, there is a storage bin in between the two front seats. It holds plenty of CDs and such, but once I put those in I found myself looking for a place to put other things like my purse. I end up throwing it in the back seat for lack of a better place. However, there are plenty of cupholders and little nooks to put other smaller items. The back cargo area is also wonderful. I have a cargo net in the back, which is very helpful and keeps things from rolling around in the back. Also, the second row of seats folds down so the cargo area is greatly increased.

OVERALL

I love my car. I feel very safe in it when I am on the road. It is a wonderful car to have especially for someone who has passengers. I have never really been into passenger cars and the SUV solves that problem for me. True, the Jimmy doesn't get as good gas mileage as a passenger car, but I'd love to see a passenger car that looks this good, handles this well, and gives you a thrill everytime you drive it. I highly recommend this car for all people.

Amount Paid (US$): 20,000