Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Lincoln LS

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 500

My Lincoln LS V8: What A Smooth Ride!

by MADYL:      Dec 17, 2001 - Updated Dec 22, 2001

Pros: Sporty, attractive, handles great!
Cons: Less resale than a BMW, Smaller front space than most Lincolns
The Bottom Line: If you want to buy luxury and buy American, this is a great car!

In April, I made the decision to purchase a new car. After six years of driving a 1995 Ford Escort (the first car that I purchased after I graduated college) and after being told that my car didn’t suit my style or personality, I was ready for a serious change of pace. To be honest, I never cared what I drove as long as it looked decent and got me to my destination, nor was I ever “connected” with a car the way my husband had with his Toyota Supra. However, when my daughter was born, I realized that a car seat, diaper bag, my son’s book bag and my laptop case were beyond the Escort’s capacity, so I started aggressively looking for a car.

I initially looked at different Sports Utility Vehicles, such as the Ford Expedition and Dodge Envoy and Lincoln Navigator. They seemed nice, but didn’t seem to suit me. I then started looking at luxury cars. I saw a nice BMW, but could not justify spending that on a vehicle when I didn’t really “love” it enough to spend $40,000. I was ready to give up when I saw a car that caught my eye – a ceramic white 2001 Lincoln LS.

What, me, drive a Lincoln?
I always thought that most Lincoln drivers were age 60 and above. This car does not look like the traditional Lincoln Town Car or Continental (my father drove a Lincoln Continental when I was in high school, and it was so big that I couldn’t parallel park it!) So it really surprised me that the styling of the LS was a sporty luxury sedan, similar to a BMW or Lexus. The front grill and lights look very similar to a BMW (The new Lincoln Navigators also have this styling).

Vehicle Description:
The Lincoln LS is equipped with either a 3.0L V6 or 3.9L V8 engine. I purchased the V8. The V8 engine features a five-speed automatic (“manuamatic”) transmission (my husband loves this feature!), while the V6 engine is made with either a both manual and automatic transmissions. This car has a lot of power, handles very well, and has an average gas mileage of about 18 miles per gallon (which was a big difference from the Escort). There is also a “message center” which tell you how much gas you have and when it is time for an oil change.

The interiors have side air bags, leather seating and a. The optional Sport Package, which is standard on the V6 manual model, includes 17-inch aluminum wheels, a Select Shift transmission, European suspension and both a leather steering wheel and shift knob. My LS8 includes an Alpine audiophile sound system, and a Vehicle Emergency Message System, which includes a built in cellular phone in the middle of the car. There is also a keyless entry remote system and universal garage door. You can also get power moonroof.

I have the AdvanceTrac stability system with the LS8, which combined with directional and steering sensors, uses the ABS brakes and retards engine output to keep the car on course. All Lincoln models now include complimentary maintenance for the first 3 years/36,000 miles, which is a great service.

Colors
In addition to the Ceramic White (which, by the way, looks great with the dark tint windows), other exterior colors include, White Pealescent, Black, Silver Frost, Midnight Grey, Light Parchment Gold, Ivory Parchment, Autumn Red, Medium Charcoal Green, Medium Cypress Green, Aspen Green, Pearl Blue, and Aqua Blue. Interior colors include Light Graphite, Medium Parchment, Truffle, and Deep Charcoal.

I love my stereo!
The Lincoln LS V8 features a 12 speaker, 180 watt Alpine Audiophile System, which features a six CD with full random play (I keep some of my favorite CDs in, as well as a couple for the husband and kids), as well as a cassette player and AM/FM radio. I start my mornings out mellow, then as soon as I drop the kids off at day care, I switch my to my 80’s head banging CDs and drive to work! I have a lot of fun in this stereo! The only problem with the CD player is that it is located in the glove box, which makes limited space in that area. However, the sound is well worth it.

Other Features Include
A/C Refrigerant, CFC-Free
• Air Bag, Driver and Passenger depowered and side impact
• Air Conditioning
• Air Filtration System
Tilt and telescoping steering wheel with speed control
• Antenna, Integrated
• Anti-Lockout System
• Interior Wood
• Armrests, Rear Center
• Assist Handle(s)
• Automatic Climate Control
• Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock
• Brakes, Power 4 Wheel Disc with 4 Wheel ABS
• Child Safety Seat Anchors (this keeps my daughter’s car seat from sliding all around the leather seats!)
• Headlights-On Warning Chime
• Map Pockets on the side of the doors
• Interior Mirror with Illuminated Visor Vanity
• Exterior Mirrors, Dual Power and Outside Heated
• Clear coat Paint
• Radio Controls from the Steering Wheel (I am so used to using the center for my controls, that I often forget. I can also mute the stereo and use the phone option form the steering wheel, since I have a microphone on my steering wheel for the phone. However, I fell kind of weird talking into a microphone on my steering wheel. For this, I am really glad I have tinted windows!)
• Radio, Premium AM/FM Stereo with Cassette, Digital Clock
• Rear Seat Ventilation Ducts
• Leather Bucket Seats (6-Way Power Passenger and 8-Way Power Driver. They have the heating option and a lumbar pillow that inflates. You can also designate two settings for the drivers!
• Seat, Folding Leather 60/40 Split Bench (the seats can be moved forward for extra room)
• Height Adjustable Seatbelts (this is great for taller and shorter passengers and drivers)
• Wood Shift Knob
• Skid Plate(s)
• Front & Rear Stabilizer Bars
• Energy Absorbing Steering Column,
• Power Scope/Tilt Steering Wheel, Wood & Leather-Wrapped
• Suspension, A-Arm/Coil Spring
• Theft Deterrent System (I set this off about once a month, but I’m getting better)
• Traction Control
• Warning Lights
• Power Window
• Universal Garage Door Opener

Bottom Line
The 2001 LS also received the highest overall crash test rating possible by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Ls was also named one of 5 safest cars of all times on http://www.insure.com/auto/safestcars.html
You may find a Lincoln at an authorized Ford dealer, so you will not get as much of the dealer dog and pony show that you would if you bought a Lexus. However, that was fine with me! Visit http://lincoln.com/default.asp to see it for yourself. I am really pleased with mine! I would highly recommend this car. If you are looking for a luxury car and want to buy American, check out the Lincoln LS!

Fluff Chick Write Off
This review is part of the "Fluff Chick Write Off". This is where Epinions "Fluff Chicks" Write About Guy and/or Techie Type Stuff . Most of these writers are well-known for writing about "girly" items, such as beauty products, but have decided to express their creativity in a slightly different subject category! Participants include: bops_mom, chrisceb, zzjulia, shantel575, kminer, melissasrn, jacklynl, SHeineman, hollegolightle, and dragonfire88 Check out their reviews, as well!

Thanks!