Read Reviews (16) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Pontiac Sunfire

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 1000

View all reviews by james.dedik

2001 Pontiac Sunfire, not a bad car for the price.........

by james.dedik:      Mar 19, 2001 - Updated Mar 26, 2001

Pros: Great gas mileage, air bags / anti-lock brakes, sharp looking, inexpensive
Cons: Some corners have been cut, some components have been cheaply manufactured
The Bottom Line: Great car for the price, offers good safety features and plenty of extra inside. Not a bad car for the price.

For Starters
We've recently went on a real vehicle spending binge (as you may notice if you look at my recent reviews). We're no longer within walking distance of work and my old car, which was the only one we had at the time, conveniently died as soon as we moved.

I wanted a good car that got good gas mileage. I also wanted one that was fairly new and inexpensive, but I didn't want to sacrifice safety features or style to accomplish this. This car was the perfect fit, we looked over many cars in this price range, but none of the other cars seemed to offer as much in the way of features for both safety and comfort.

Comparison
The Daewoo's, Kia's and Hyundai's were all decent looking cars and they definitely fit the bill, as far a price went, but many of the cars I looked at lacked safety features or style. They seemed to be very boxy and didn't come with a lot of extras.

Features
The Sunfire coupe has a sunroof, tilt, AC, AM/FM CD(good radio for being stock), driver and passenger air bags, anti-lock brakes and a pretty decent engine, for a 4-cylinder, that is. It also has a pretty sleek design for a car in it's price range.

Draw Backs
A few of the downfalls of the car is the interior, the seats aren't very comfortable and they are pretty ugly. Also, the windshield wipers absolutely stink! They weren’t very well engineered. There is a small rubber hose that connects to each wiper and it doesn't take much to clog them up, especially once it gets cold enough outside.

Also, you have to watch the trunk lock device. It's a plastic piece that will break off easily if you overload the trunk and try to slam it shut(trust me on this one!), and it's a major pain in the butt getting your stuff out of the trunk through the back seat.

Also, there isn't much cargo space, but I guess that's what you'd have to expect with a car that's considered to be in the compact class. Also, there's not a lot of head room. I'm 6'0" tall and my head is right at up against the ceiling. I really couldn't see someone that was taller then me being very comfortable in this car.

All-in-All
All-in-all this is a great car for the price, there are a lot of other cars in this same class, but this one seemed to offer the most for our money. I would recommend this car to anyone that is looking for a inexpensive car that has style, comfort (if you're not too tall), offers good safety features and is great on gas.

Amount Paid (US$): 14,000