Read Reviews (118) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Jetta

View all reviews by jettaboy07

good car but..............

by jettaboy07:      Nov 13, 2005

Pros: ride, practicality, looks, gas mileage
Cons: size, reliability
The Bottom Line: i would recommend this car to someone who i know would not mind the upkeep because it really is a great car to drive

The volkswagen jetta is loved by many, and alos hated by many. Mine is stuck somewhere in between there. I love the way this car drives, how smooth and comfortably it rides (like a mercedes), and the gas mileage. however there is an awkwardly amount of upkeep recquired.

PAINT:My jetta is black, and the color has not faded a bit. However there is a small bubble that has formed inside the paint on the rear bumper. The paint still shines, but you have to keep washing it often, black shows everything.

Exterior:The car looks very sharp, with its crisp clear lines. The design is simple, yet sophisticated, perfect for a college student or high school student looking for a cool car.

INTERIOR:The design is practical, and very high quality, It is all black inside the car, which shows alot of dust, as well as shows every scratch, and imperfection. The cupholders are useless, and the glovebox hinges have broken twice. There is also an occassional rattle from the dash, and door very few times, but it doesnt bother me.

ENGINE:The engine is small, but efficient. While it is not the fastest car, it does provide fun driving. The engine sounds good, but when first started,it makes a clunking noise, until the temperature rises. Hard to do anything on the engine yourself, many things rezquire special tools to get to parts,so you are forced to take it to the dealer (very expensive)

RELIABILITY:Everyone told me that volkswagens are very reliable. They must not have loved me. Here is what and when things went wrong:
1.All windows fell into door, some more than once
2.MAF sensor needed replacing-10/5/2004
3.Car would not shift out of park-11/27/2004
4.Car just stopped working on me, gauges went erratic, lights all flashed, burning smell, needed a new computer cost nearly 2000.00-2/15/2005
5.Needed new fuel system (1150.00)-3/2/2005
6.Axle was apparently bent, causing clunk in suspension, told me they couldnt fix it, but my independent mechanic could, caused a clunk in suspension-3-27-2005
7.Side airbag deployed while driving down the street for no reason, nearly caused an accident, cost 397.51-5-24-2005
-Many other things have gone wrong with the car, including a goo coming from the door seals, and small things that do not affect the driving of the car.

............Overall, the car is great, reliability wise....it is horrible, but if you are a driver, and money is no option, then you would love the jetta as i do.
Condition: New
Model Year: 2001
Model and Options: auto, cd changer, leather, sunroof, power everything