Read Reviews (82) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Volkswagen new Passat

Fun Car...Expensive to Maintain and Insure!

by migurl:      Sep 18, 2005 - Updated Sep 19, 2005

Pros: Fun, Safe, well built
Cons: Expensive to maintain and insure
The Bottom Line: Buy it if you can afford big bucks for upkeep

Let me start by saying that I just love this car. It's a GLS with the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo engine which is quick and fun with the 5 speed manual transmission. It's safe with its combined 8 drivers and passengers side airbags, and quite a looker. And, with the exception of the caveats listed below, the only money I've had to put into it is for oil changes. It's been a super reliable car, I only wish that I would have checked, comparatively, into what it was going to cost to maintain and insure.

OK, here are the caveats. I bought the car in 2001 with 12K miles on it. Within a month after buying it, I was traveling when the oil pressure gauge lit up. To say that it "lit up" is an understatement. It's more like a dive alarm on a submarine. I sat on the side of the road with 2 small children for 2 hours waiting for roadside assistance to find me. Had it towed an hour to the nearest dealership just to have them hook it up to their diagnostic equipment and find nothing. This was my FIRST experience with this. This would happen 2 more times in the next year. Then the air bag sensor started doing the same thing. Same story...take it to the dealership and they'd find nothing. Finally, the dealership replaced the car's computer. It was under warranty, so it didn't bother me much. Everything was OK for about 15K miles and the nightmare started all over again. Now my warranty is expired. The dealership I worked with was able to pull some strings and I had computer #2 replaced for free as well. I'm now at 133K miles and (knock on wood) no more electrical problems. Other issues though include incredibly outrageous maintenance costs. They recommend changing the timing belt at 60K mile intervals...$800 a pop, last fall I had a tune up which cost $500, it burns premium gas and insurance costs...even for this 36 year old with a pristine driving record...are through the roof.

In conclusion, this is a fun, good looking car to drive with lots of bells and whistles, long-wearing, good quality interior and exterior car, but be prepared to lay down some bucks to maintain and insure it.
Amount Paid (US$): 21,000